Photo

Do you do this?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you go to your local bookstore and just read the manga with out buying it? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you go to your local bookstore and just read the manga with out buying it?

1. No, I would never! (17 votes [19.32%])

Percentage of vote: 19.32%

2. No, I don't have time to do that. (32 votes [36.36%])

Percentage of vote: 36.36%

3. Yes, I am addicted. (16 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

4. Yes, but I try not to! (23 votes [26.14%])

Percentage of vote: 26.14%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Neriko

Neriko

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:Anime (duh, but things not soo amazingly girly that its stupid, just fun, interesting stuff), Music, drawing, killing my computer (its ollddd and is about to die! Muhahahaha *drops computer out window*) umm recently four-wheeling and riding my bike in the summer and also archery when i have time.. which i've had none of lately. Ahh also my language classes! I'm currently learning Japanese from a friend, taking Spanish in my school, and my wonderful Latin class.

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:43 AM

Yes sadly I am guilty.. I'll be close to half way through the book and still reading it when I walk up to the register...

Fortuantly I don't live close to any major book stores.. or any in fact... so I'm not always being yelled at for that. smile.gif
user posted image

#22 ookamioni

ookamioni

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • Interests:Neriko :)

Posted 25 June 2007 - 06:45 AM

Unless its Love Hina (which I tend to just BUY)... i read but never buy lol
Neriko is MY girl! None of you can have her and her awsomeness. All mine. And I'm all her's.
user posted image
[email protected]
My flying penguins of doom will drop COCONUTS on your pitiful city!

#23 MangaOtaku

MangaOtaku

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Art, Reading, hanging with friends.

Posted 28 June 2007 - 04:49 AM

if its a new manga I like to read the first 1 or 2 chapters before buying it.
(DAMN I HAVE NOT BEEN HERE IN LIKE 2 YEARS WOW!)
man I'm so tired

#24 biankita

biankita

-dono

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 29 June 2007 - 12:06 AM

I answered No, I would never! for the simple reason that bookstores where I live (Manila) tend to wrap them in plastic with a label saying "Do not open. Please ask for assistance." Of course, I can become real crafty and just open it and read it when the sales clerk is not looking, but I couldn't. I just end up buying them in the end... laugh.gif

#25 REYOMA

REYOMA

-dono

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts
  • Interests:ANIME and lan gaming as well as online gaming and friends i guess.

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:28 AM

I hate reading so yeah u'll never see me at a bookstore or with a book unless it's posted on a forum I would not read it.I am not really into the manga scene tried but failed horribly biggrin.gif

#26 andre

andre

-chan

• Kouhais
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 03:24 AM

I try not to do that because it's uncomfortable for me... I hate standing. The Kinokunyia bookstore where i frequent does have benches for that sort of stuff, but even still I try not to. It wrecks the reading experience for me when I'm not in a comfortable place, so I'm willing to shell out $10-12 for a manga or two just to go home and read it in peace, and have the luxury of reading them twice or thrice. I find enjoyment, even with novels not to read for plots but to deconstruct texts. (must be the english student coming out of me)

#27 emotionallywasted

emotionallywasted

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Anime. Manga. Jdoramas. <br>Sitting outside under the stars.<br>Learning new things.<br>Traveling to new countries

Posted 14 July 2007 - 07:52 AM

yeah i have done that. i have to get into a series before i buy it or else its a waste of money to me. i usually do that to books to. i read the first like couple pages and if im drawn into it i will buy it. if not i move on.

im cheap like that rolleyes.gif

#28 cuteakoasin

cuteakoasin

-dono

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 631 posts
  • Interests:Im a person who loves Anime so much. Anime Anime Anime Anime all the way. Anime is part of my everydaylife and i will watch as much anime as i could and i will galdlly show my sons and daughters the beauty of anime.^^

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:45 AM

Well i had an experience with this. When i was in college during my sophomore year, there is a newly opened Book Store not far away from my school. I cheked out the store and i was shocked that there is a manga section in it. If i remember correctly the first manga i read was Slam Dunk. I took the manga and i read until time passes by then suddenly one of the shop clerks said to me that he's going to charge me if i keep on reading it. After that i never do it again. laugh.gif
user posted image
user posted image
^^Moka-san is mine ^^

#29 emotionallywasted

emotionallywasted

-san

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Anime. Manga. Jdoramas. <br>Sitting outside under the stars.<br>Learning new things.<br>Traveling to new countries

Posted 14 July 2007 - 09:59 AM

haha thats pretty funny

i read a whole entire manga once at the mall
than went home and looked for scans

#30 electric_foetus

electric_foetus

-chan

• Kouhais
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, bike riding, rock climbing, being overcomplex and pedantic to everyone i meet, trekking through random bits of parks, tree climbing (although i can't), listening to music, contemplating philosophies, watching films, some art and meeting peoples (but i'm usually anti-social...). Oh and of course...anime and manga :P

Posted 15 July 2007 - 02:20 PM

Heh...suprisingly not :S ...though everytime I'm in borders, there are always a group sitting there reading it! I usually will just flick through the first few pages but I have never read an entire one...I don't know, I guess it ruins it for me! Even though manga always seems expensive I like to have the book there in my shelf so I can look at it anytime smile.gif
user posted image user posted image

"The border between the two isn't all that clear. I'll be able to enter it soon. In full range. Full motion. I'll translate myself into it."
-Lain

#31 Paeto

Paeto

-chan

• Kouhais
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Interests:I love stone sculpting<br>All kinds of music <br>Trekking in the mountains, going on top of them to check what's on the other side... travelling<br>Cooking and trying all kinds of new recipees<br>My friends, seeing my friends and going out with my friends and making new friends!<br><br>oh, do i need to mention that i love manga and anime?

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

funny to read all the posts and think "ooh i do that as well" !
i also like to have all the books on my shelves and to be able to reread, share, lend...
But i often read a few pages in the store to be sure!

Except when it's a long awaited one, then i just pay, do a home run, jump on the sofa and dive with delights into it laugh.gif

or when i order through internet... then it's like Christmas to go home an discover the packet in the mail box ^__^
stress? panic attacks? anxiety disorders? Just go to Purome!!

#32 Mokkun

Mokkun

-chan

• Kouhais
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • Interests:Anime: Rurouni Kenshin<br> Murder Princess OVA<br> Naruto<br> Naruto Shippuuden<br> Shounen Onmyouji<br><br>Manga: Full Metal Alchemist<br> Oh! My Goddess<br> Howl's Moving castle<br> Naruto (wishlist)<br><br>Music, Carnivorus Plants (Bog plants), Orchids etc......

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:27 PM

Here we can't read the whole manga in shop because shop's staff is saying to go away or you need to buy it if you want to read it.....

That is why I buy manga and read it at home laugh.gif
user posted image

#33 xxanime_junkyxx

xxanime_junkyxx

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1017 posts
  • Interests:Besides anime and manga? Classical dancing, writing, and doodling over my notes from class when I should be listening to the teacher. <br><br>Favorite shows:<br>-Toward the Terra (2007)<br>-Paradise Kiss*<br>-xxxHOLIC*<br>-Nana*<br>-Nodame Cantabile<br>-The GokuSen &lt;3<br>-Gunslinger Girl<br>-Ouran High School Host Club<br>-Perfect Girl Evolution (Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge)<br>-Welcome to the N.H.K<br>-Death Note*<br>-Full Metal Panic Fumoffu and TSR<br>-Zombie Loan<br>-Lovely Complex*<br>-Hataraki Man<br>-REC<br>-Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei + Zoku*<br>-Mononoke<br>-Darker Than Black<br>-Baccano!<br>-Samurai Champloo*<br>-Karas*<br><br>Favorite Mangas<br>-My 1/3 Boyfriend*<br>-Nana*<br>-Crimson Hero<br>-Paradise Kiss*<br>-Vampire Knight*<br>-Trinity Blood*<br>-Goth*<br>-Immortal Rain*<br>-Chocolat*<br>-Shinshi Doumei Cross (The Gentlemen's Alliance)*<br>-Demon Flowers*<br><br>Looking Forward to:<br>-xxxholic S2 XD XD XD XD!<br>-Mushiuta S2<br>-Sisters of Wellber S2<br>-Kara No Kyoukai<br>-Minami-ke S2 XD<br>-Vampire Knight!?!?!?! &lt;3 &lt;3 &lt;3 &lt;3<br>-Aria: The Organization<br><br>My REVERSE Harem (bwa ha ha..if guys can have it...why not me?!)<br>-Kagure Yuuya (My 1/3 Boyfriend) [STUNNING!]<br>-Zero (Vampire Knight)...hottest emo kid ever*<br>-Abel Nightrod (Trinity Blood)<br>-Kohari (Lovely Complex)<br>-Reiji (Kodomo no Jikan)<br>-Seiran (Suketi Tantei Labyrinth)<br>-Daisuke (Mushiuta)<br>-Kazuma (Kaze No Stigma)<br>-George (Paradise Kiss)*<br>-Light (Death Note)*<br>-Kyoya (Ouran High)<br>-Keisuke Haibuki (Crimson High)<br>-Chiaki (Nodame Cantabile)<br>-Shiito (Zombie Loan)<br>-Nobu (Nana)<br>-Shin (Nana)<br>-Doumeki (xxxHOLIC)<br>-Soldier Blue (Toward the Terra)<br>-Fay (Tsubasa Reservoir)*<br>-Hei (Darker Than Black)<br>-Souske (Full Metal Panic!)<br>-Sasuke (Naruto)*<br>-Keith (Toward the Terra)<br>-Firo (Baccano!)<br>-Makoto (Ghost Hound)<br>-Yuca (Immortal Rain)<br>-Eury (Immortal Rain)*<br>-Jin (Samurai Champloo)<br>-Masayuki (Ghost Hound)<br>-Itoshiki (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei)

Posted 01 October 2007 - 12:03 AM

if im in chapters or coles or something (but not go out of my way to do so) i always go to the comic section and just graze through the manga and pick up stuff if i find some interesting stuff, i admit i've been guilty of sitting and reading through a whole book, but i just can't help it lol, its too expensive for me to buy volumes of books im interested in...and besides, the selection is so minimal its pathetic
user posted image
"Pity and compassion are privelages that are reserved for the strong. And I am...strong!" -Vino (Baccano!)
Season's Top 5:
1)Ghost Hound
2)Shigofumi
3)Zoku:Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
4)Persona:Trinity Soul
5)Spice and Wolf

#34 RLT

RLT
  • Kouhais
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2007 - 11:57 PM

All the time. usually I read two or three books then buy three or four books. I don't think they mind so much since it isn't unusual for me to spend $40-70 there in a visit. But I would never buy a series that I haven't started to read yet, that would be too risky, there is alot of good manga, but there is also alot of bad manga too. blink.gif

#35 moonlight_tsukasa

moonlight_tsukasa
  • Kouhais
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 02:32 AM

I do it atleast once a week, usually with a group of friends. Fortunately the staff doesn't bug us much about it because we tend to buy alot. Also I read the manga at Borders then buy it, that way I can have a nice copy for my collection. I guess I really should be considerate about that though.
Nothing is perfect because life isn't perfect, and thats what makes it so wonderful.

#36 synchk

synchk

-dono

• Kouhais
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • Location:3rd Rock from the sun; Coordinate (x=2°30'N;y=112°30'E;z=±3°)
  • Interests:am i interesting? you can contact me at +X42SJZ679 toll free<br>______________________________<br><br>- Watching: Anime, Reality TV Program, J-drama, Sci-Fi Movie/Series<br><br>- Reading: Light story books, Manga, Academic Notes?, Short Novel, Catalog, Sports/Car/Science Magazine<br><br>- Playing: Video Games (PC, PS), Sports (various), pranks with friends<br><br>- Listening: J-anime + OST, games OST, light music, music with good reasoning/meaning, other people story/problem <br><br>- Dreaming: during day dream, and normal sleeping hours<br><br>- Study &amp; Working at the same time (knowledge &amp; money are important you know!!)<br><br>- Traveling, Adventure (get some challenges &amp; EXP desu~, LV up)<br><br>- Sketching &amp; Drawing (but not Colouring)<br><br>- Internet Surfing: gathering some useful information &amp; entertainment<br><br>- girls (hey, im a dude! XD)<br><br>- etc...

Posted 16 October 2007 - 10:07 AM

in the past, when i'm still a kid, i would never do that because im an honest kid XD (i'm promoting myself!!! laugh.gif ) i just buy those manga(s) i want.

but then when become older sleep.gif, generally the price is getting higher and the life cost as well dry.gif . and as well i begun to get aware about money ohmy.gif . i dont need to spend much money for this.. i've got something else important to spend to.

so now i'll just borrow my friends or else go to the bookstore, i take the manga, then i take note of those which one seems interesting, go back home. open the PC, get to the internet, search for em' tongue.gif XDDD.

Note: i wont spend much money biggrin.gif (for the manga) and time dry.gif(standing there at the bookstore), i dont have time to do that, while downloading the manga(s) at least i can finish some of the assignments and read it later whenever free smile.gif wink.gif .
What is synchk?
_____
user posted image
what about next theme? humm...

"Great minds talk about idea. Average minds talk about material. Small minds talk about people,
and if you don't have mind, don't talk nonsense... never mind... XD"

"Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open..."

- Searchin' for safest & fastest Web Browser?: |Mozilla Firefox| + |Addons|
- Problem with Direct Download? Get the latest update here: |Java (JRE)|
- Wanna download things till vomit?!! Use torrent: |Bit Comet|

#37 Armageddon47

Armageddon47

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:PaintBall<br>Soccer<br>TaeKwonDo<br>Running<br>Anime-Just a lil bit obvious<br>Manga -look above<br>Gaming<br>Rock Music

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:05 AM

I sometimes sit there in the store and will just keep reading till I notice and say to myself "I would have bought this.... if I didn' already read all of what I just read..."
biggrin.gif Happens too often
Fly to the heavens!
To rain Hell From Above

#38 michikodesu

michikodesu

-chan

• Kouhais
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 20 November 2007 - 03:16 PM

The only time I read in the store is if it's a manga that I wanted to check out before buying. A new title that I haven't had time to research or check out what's it about online. I normally pick out two or three titles and just deal with those until I get the last one. That way I'm not too overwhelmed with buying title after title after title. It also saves me money. And that's always good biggrin.gif

Dreaming of sweet tea and magnolias!!

#39 Eralina_rose

Eralina_rose

-chi

• Kouhais
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:hmm..my interests...sit on the sofa,sprawl on the table and look at sth than wait for an idea to creep and control my brain and think of a story..mainly, my interest is day dream of dream place.

Posted 03 December 2007 - 02:00 PM

e I do that sometimes. Except not with manga but books. I sit in Popular for 2 hours (somtimes *blink*) and choose a uncovered book and read. and when its time to go, i rmb th epage and the nxt time i go again, i read it from where i stop..Kinda illigal,thats why i don't do it now, besides, i don't have time now. I'm waiting for School Rumbe Season 3!!! Any of you know the exact month where it will come out? oh yes, and the exact year. Once you've got any news, contact me at this hotmail address: [email protected]

tnks,
Eralina Rose

#40 Cody

Cody

-chan

• Kouhais
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:44 AM

I haven't found a book store that does manga or I would.
I apolagise naw for any spelling or grammer mustakes i make.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users