So my 360 just RROD'ed on me...again.

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Repede

-san
Kouhai
This is the 3rd time since I ever got a 360.

I'm telling you guys, this 360 are out of toilet paper.

Now they don't even send you the box. I need Now he is reallly screwed taking he needs to send it to me, so I can then send it to Microsoft.

Well in all honesty I really don't care. I haven't even bothered filling the claim thingy. I'll do it eventually when I want it fix.

Soooo, how many 360 have you guys killed?

You probably need to follow the same rules that I gave my children after their's overheated.
1. Stand it up and never lay it down while it is on unless it is in a cold room.
2. Keep free air space all around it. Have a fan blowing air toward it if possible.
3. Never place it closer than one inch to carpet. If you must place it on carpet place it on a book or board that extends several inches on all sides.
4. Keep the room temperature under 74 degrees

I guess I must be one of the relative lucky ones. My system had only red ringed once ever, and this was a day one system. I stood outside of Wallmart back on Nov 17, 2005 to get my Pro Version and it wasn't until last March that I got my unfixable red ring of death. I had gotten the ring a few times before, but in those instances just unplugging the power cord from the system and re-plugging it in fixed the problem.

Although in not too long I'm gonna try getting the newer MW2 360 to replace my stolen one.

It's the stupid X-clamps. Once I removed those, I was able to keep it from malfunctioning. What really bothered me was the graphics chip I believe (The thing under the heat sink). The thing burned out so I get a complete black screen with sound.

By the way, it's my second...
...I think it needs better thermal paste.

Anybody read Sheckley's "A Ticket to Tranai"? The episode with the guy working at the robot factory development section to figure out how to make them more fragile so that people would buy more reminds me just of this ^_____^

I don't really know what's so kewl about XBAWKS anyway, most games that are worthwhile come to PC eventually, and PCs don't die even half a year.

QUOTE It's the stupid X-clamps.

X-CLAMPs? Hmmm... http://erems.free.fr/xclamp.jpg

QUOTE Although in not too long I'm gonna try getting the newer MW2 360 to replace my stolen one.

Yeah, last game I played was this. Ramirez buy a new 360!

Anybody read Sheckley's "A Ticket to Tranai"? The episode with the guy working at the robot factory development section to figure out how to make them more fragile so that people would buy more reminds me just of this ^_____^

Well the crap has a 3 year warranty, so as long as they fix it for "free" I got no beef. Plus I got my 360 for free anyway. Uncle gave me his broken one, and he just bought a new one. Then I just got my old one fixed by Microsoft. Then after a bunch of under the table deals and whatnot. I got a new Xbox from Bestbuy. Still has 2.5 years warranty.

QUOTE   It's the stupid X-clamps. Once I removed those, I was able to keep it from malfunctioning. What really bothered me was the graphics chip I believe (The thing under the heat sink). The thing burned out so I get a complete black screen with sound.

See now you are getting technical. I know I put the CD in the tray and play games. If I open the 360. Warranty is void. : (

QUOTE I don't really know what's so kewl about XBAWKS anyway

It's all about taste. I can't play for the life of me using keyboard and mouse. I rather use a Pad, and for fighting games. It's basically impossible to play. Not to mention you need to keep udgrading every now and then. Every upgrade it's a lot of money. Not fun. While if you buy a console no need to upgrade anything. Yes you lose a lot of freedom over what you can and can't contorl and no mods. but I say it's fine, Oh and you mispelled XbOx.
laugh.gif

A lot of products made in the last fifteen and especially the last ten years have been really sensitive to damage from overheating. Many chipsets were damaged when filtering capacitors went bad.

So many new factories opened up in the the last fifteen years and so many of the established places in areas with expensive labor were shut down, that even companies with reputable names were using caps that heated up as they deteriorated and leaked out their electrolytes.

When the company that I worked for in the 90's made video games, there were two fake ones sold from china for every real one that we made. Most of the customers thought that they were legit and when they failed, they were returned to the factory. The same happened with the electrolytic caps. Many purchased garbage caps that looked identical to one manufacturing in reputable facilities.

I have been playing halo 3 for hours on mine and she never died on me. But I have been warned of the overheating problem and I read in some forum this advice:

What really causes the overheating is, when you have been playing for hours, the xbox is hot as hell and then you suddenly switch it off. Because as long as the ventilator is running, everything is fine. But when you suddenly shut it down, the overheated xbox can no longer cool down and thats when it happens. Easy solution to this: After you finished playing, go to the menu and let the xbox run there fr about 5-10 minutes depending on how hot it is. Then shut it down.

Hey, this has always worked for me, not a single death since I got the box and soon that will be a year.

See the thing is I don't play that much.

Unless it's an RPG in where I love the characters like Tales. It will take me forever to beat a game. I play an average of 4 hours at max in a 7 days week. Not because I don't have time. Simply because gaming is not one of my major hobbies or interest. I mean really. The 360 died on me friday, and I have yet to even bother filling out the report.

Plus playing for hours is a sad excuse. Back in the day I would do 6 hours in my Dreamcast a day, for a week in vacation. And to this day my Dreamcast still works.

Saying overplaying causes the damage is just a sad excuse for cheap parts. My PS1, NESS, Original Gamr Boy (fat ugly one), N64, Super SNESS still work just fine. Besides the 360 the only console to ever give me troubles was the PS2 who died once because of the lens.

So no the 360 is a cheap machine with a shitload of problems. This would have caused bankruptcy to any other company, but Microsoft has so much money. They can afford all this crap. Not to mention kids these days have no knowledge on the value of money. In which they will defend a company for screwing them in the ass.

well, you may be right in the respect that quality is not the strongest point of the xbox. However how you managed to make it die 3x is a mystery to me. One has to take care of his belongings and xbox is known for the overheating problem, so one should take precautions for it not to happen. Mine never died on me.....

Currently I am considering buying bioshock for my xbox.

I guess it can't hurt to take those precautions about overheating, but in my 3-4 years of owning my 360 I have never once ever taken any precautions with overheating in mind and only had 1 problem, which happened during downtime in my 360 when I was rarely ever playing it anymore.

Warita, go buy Bioshock right now. That's not a suggestion, but an order.
biggrin.gif
You should be able to find it for $30 new (or that's how much my PS3 version was) and it is really at the pinnacle of singe-player FPSs in my opinion. I've actually beaten it 4 times and am on a 5th run right now. First 2 on the 360 to get all the achievements and on my 3rd run on the PS3 version (since my 360 version got stolen a while ago) to get all the trophies. I think this is the most I've ever beaten a single game aside from Ocarina of Time.

My bro's 360 redringed on him and he had to get another. so far the 2nd is doing ok but the odd thing is everytime he DLs the option to be able to wat AVI files or the file to be able to play 1st gen x-box games. the files keep dissapearing after everytime he turns it off. anyone know what's going on here?

QUOTE (Shinobu's_Lover @ Dec 28 2009, 11:40 AM) My bro's 360 redringed on him and he had to get another. so far the 2nd is doing ok but the odd thing is everytime he DLs the option to be able to wat AVI files or the file to be able to play 1st gen x-box games. the files keep dissapearing after everytime he turns it off. anyone know what's going on here?
Those files require you be signed into Xbox Live at all times, that might be the cause. Also your posting in a topic that has nothing to do with Xbox 360 files in particular.

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Dec 28 2009, 09:33 AM) Warita, go buy Bioshock right now. That's not a suggestion, but an order.
biggrin.gif
You should be able to find it for $30 new (or that's how much my PS3 version was) and it is really at the pinnacle of singe-player FPSs in my opinion. I've actually beaten it 4 times and am on a 5th run right now. First 2 on the 360 to get all the achievements and on my 3rd run on the PS3 version (since my 360 version got stolen a while ago) to get all the trophies. I think this is the most I've ever beaten a single game aside from Ocarina of Time.
Meh, the pinnacle of single-player FPSs thus far is called Serious Sam: Second encounter. That game has unlimited replayability. As an FPS/RPG hybrid, Bioshock also cannot beat Deus Ex even if it tries. It's an OK game though.

well my xbox 360 has been repaired 3 times in past yr red ring of death as people tell me. i dont know what cause it and when its fix its good but problem is it come back after few month even if your not playing it.

QUOTE <i>I guess it can't hurt to take those precautions about overheating, but in my 3-4 years of owning my 360 I have never once ever taken any precautions with overheating in mind and only had 1 problem, which happened during downtime in my 360 when I was rarely ever playing it anymore

Seems like too much of a hasle. Putting your 36o as a tower makes the CD's get all scratch up, which is bad. This is why I keep my 360 lying down. Putting a fan next to it, well it's just stupid. >.> It would completely mess up the zen in my room. I might try that "Leaving it on the dashboard for a few minutes thing" It might work, but whatever. I really want a PS3 now. I need to play Cross Edge and Disgaea 3.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE My bro's 360 redringed on him and he had to get another. so far the 2nd is doing ok but the odd thing is everytime he DLs the option to be able to wat AVI files or the file to be able to play 1st gen x-box games. the files keep dissapearing after everytime he turns it off. anyone know what's going on here?

Oh, I know what you are talking about. It's some stupid thing Microsoft has. You need to do a license transfer. You can only do it once a year, but it's really stupid taking how easy the 360's break. Anyway hold on. I'll find you the exact link. I have the same problem since I never bothered to fill the form. Once you change the license to the new xbox you'll be able to play any game bought off live offline.

I didn't like Bioshock. >.>

QUOTE (Repede @ Dec 28 2009, 04:29 PM)
Seems like too much of a hasle. Putting your 36o as a tower makes the CD's get all scratch up, which is bad. This is why I keep my 360 lying down. Putting a fan next to it, well it's just stupid. >.> It would completely mess up the zen in my room. I might try that "Leaving it on the dashboard for a few minutes thing" It might work, but whatever. I really want a PS3 now. I need to play Cross Edge and Disgaea 3.
biggrin.gif

you could also do what I suggested. Just allow the xbox run in the menu after you finished playing, so that it has a chance to cool down.

I'm either extremely lucky or everyone else is unlucky. I've had my 360 since about when the system came out and have NEVER had an RROD nor, for that matter, any kind of problems. I played it a lot too, and never took any precautions against overheating or anything. Only thing I've done is my console usually stands up vertically rather than laying horizontally, but that's just personal preference and aesthetics (location and amount of room available).
Also have a PS3 (got it about 2 years ago now I think) and never had problems with it either - though I don't play it NEARLY as much as the 360. Same goes with Wii.

Recently I've been doing almost all my gaming on my PC - I really like the ability to use mods and stuff; plus I find the keyboard mouse to be better in many games - though I don't play fighting games too often...mostly shooters, RTS, and adventure games. Plus, with my hardware I can run most games on max or near max settings without any problems and I haven't had to upgrade in quite a while now. I swear the Nvidia 8800GTS is just a beast of it's time and it still manages to keep up with today's games.

Yeah the 8000 series are pretty good - and pretty much able to cover most modern games, if not always on highest settings. I myself own a more humble 8400M, but it runs pretty much everything, even a ps2 emulator with not too much lag (under XP of course; Vista lags up just about anything by nature).

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back