Your next console?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Which will you buy?

• Wii U

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PS4

• NeXbox

• Screw you, I'm flying into the future with mah PC!

• Pfft, I'm rich, I'm getting them all!

• Gaming is Dead. It died with the Dreamcast! None.

• Total voters

franzoir

-the smooth, the suave, and the shrewd
Sempai
The next wave of consoles are upon us and will probably decide whether consoles are here to stay or be overruned by the smartphone/tablet era.

I am a Nintendo loyalist so for me its either Nintendo or stick to my PC gaming rig . I never bought the Wii because I knew I wasnt the target audience so I stuck with PC but I still love Nintendo.

So what about you guys?

Got a PC and a PS3 and for now I will stay like this. But who knows for how long since Im thinking about getting a XBox360 too for Halo and Gears of War. But seeing as I havent played much on the PS3 I dont really know if its worth it. The same with the PSP since there are games out for it that are interesting (for example Valkyria Chronicles 3 or Code Geass). Why cant they just sell make one console and be happy with it -.-

My sis has a Wii and I played it a bit but moving around while playing is just the most stupid thing ever. Its so much against what gaming stands for. If it at least was fun then ok but it didnt. Ok Mario Cart Wii was great (its Mario Cart after all) but you can play that without moving around so it doesnt count ^^

Dunno if I will get something from the new generation. Maybe after 2 or 3 years just like the PS3 (if it wasnt even later) but not when they start selling.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ May 05 2012, 10:23 AM) Why cant they just sell make one console and be happy with it -.-

Apparently that will happen in the future, if you believe the media elite that is.

QUOTE Its so much against what gaming stands for.

What, exercise?

QUOTE (franzoir @ May 05 2012, 08:46 PM) Apparently that will happen in the future, if you believe the media elite that is.
Really? Havent heard any of this for now.

QUOTE What, exercise?
Yep, exactly that ^^ Gaming is sitting in a chair or on a couch and relax while having fun, not moving around like a monkey on ecstasy.

I am soo getting a Wii U! Only because I need to play Zelda: Skyward Sword! ^^, I have always been a devoted Zelda fan ever since Ocarina of Time. But after Twilight Princess there wasn't that many games to come to the Wii which was in my interest. I sold it and saved up for a PS3 instead. But now I regret it while watching the Skyward Sword trailers! >.<*

I have an xbox360 and i do like the games that are on this platform like Eternal Sonata, Skyrim, Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean and Magna Carta II. So i'll stick with the next one which is released.

Wii U is definitely NOT for me ! I don't want a console that will only release the so-called casual game ! Xbox never was my cup of tea because there is way too much adventure and fps games. The Playstation brand is the only brand that has a lot of j-rpg (which is my favorite type of game) but I don't think I'll buy the PS4 on "day one".

Maybe I'll buy a PS Vita when there will be more interesting games and the price will be less expensive

Wii U isnt something for me either. For one I dont want to move around while gaming and second I cant even imagine how it works with one display on the tv and the other one on the pad. Wouldnt you need two heads too see everything? And while moving around how can you even see the display on the pad?

When the Xbox720 comes out I will wait a bit till the Xbox 360 gets cheaper and then I will get it so I can play the Halo and Gears of War franchise.

I wont be buying one of the new consoles, either PS4 or Xbox720, when they come out. I will wait to see what kind of games are out and if there are enough interesting ones I will think about getting one of them just like I did with the PS3.

If you werent overseas ossi i'd give you my 360 for a pittance. Ive played on it maybe 5 times in two years, got it for xmas to play with my brothers but cant stomach the controller or paying twice for the same game (I prefer my mouseand PC). Its nice as a dvd player though, and should i go the netflix route, i wont have to buy a htpc. Even if the mouse fell out of my favor due to going senile or something, id still keep up a PC for strategy games and MOBAs, which a controller is useless for. As is, nothing beats the mouse as an input device for precision gaming.

Yep its the same for me. Especially for strategy games and shooters I like keyboard and mouse because I totally suck at those on the pad. But since Halo and Gears of War are Xbox only I will have to manage working with it some day ^^
Overall the only games the pad is better are games like God of War, sport games and Beat'em'ups.

I'm looking forward to the Ouya, as both a hopeful indie developer and a gamer, but being aware of what the current technology will be capable of when it matures and finishes achieving market saturation? I'm not very optimistic about the future of console gaming.

MiraCast and similar technologies are promising the death of console gaming in a few years with the ability to stream video live from your smartphone straight into your HDTV. Why bother writing for a console when you can sell an NFC/bluetooth controller, develop games for tablets, and stream the video straight to an HDTV, no cables save for the wall charger?

QUOTE (Nemingway @ Nov 06 2012, 02:04 PM)Wii U is definitely NOT for me ! I don't want a console that will only release the so-called casual game.
As someone that skipped 7th gen consoles, I am still baffled as to how in a short 7 years the consumers has become so utterly brainwashed that they treat words like 'casual' 'hardcore' 'core' 'triple a' 'free to play' and other such marketing nonsense with any type of qualification. Marketeers/Journalists/Publishers have done such a good job with brainwashing the consumers that if I was to turn around and say that anybody that uses these terms doesnt really know what gaming is about, I would be the one that looks like a fool.

As far as concerned, games should only be one thing first. Fun. In that degree, there are few developers that can even claim a 1/10 of Nintendo's legacy.

So you think that playing "Wii Sport" is "fun", that playing any social gaming on Facebook or any smartphone platform is "fun" ? Seriously, just go and watch what we had 20 years ago ! We had Mario, Sonic, Alex Kidd, Super Metroid, and so much more ! Don't tell that those masterpiece should be compared to any social gaming ! That would be totally non-sense !

I agree with you that the words "casual", "core" and "hardcore" games shouldn't really mean something BUT it's unfortunately necessary to use those words now because it's not possible (in my opinion) to compare a game designed for a group of people who don't play that much and a game designed for those who want some challenge. Comparing for example Wii Fit (a casual game) and Dark Soul (a very hard game) and saying "it's the same, it's a game in the end and it's fun" is totally wrong ! Both games bring to the gamer a different experience !

And as a note, no I'm not "brainwashed" as it is suggested in your post
sleep.gif
'

QUOTE (franzoir @ Nov 06 2012, 03:59 PM)As someone that skipped 7th gen consoles, I am still baffled as to how in a short 7 years the consumers has become so utterly brainwashed that they treat words like 'casual' 'hardcore' 'core' 'triple a' 'free to play' and other such marketing nonsense with any type of qualification. Marketeers/Journalists/Publishers have done such a good job with brainwashing the consumers that if I was to turn around and say that anybody that uses these terms doesnt really know what gaming is about, I would be the one that looks like a fool.

7 years? My inner cynic thinks it's closer to twenty. The same people responsible for the buzzword soup that defines today's gaming culture were the same people who decided every video game had to be Doom.

The buzzwords have changed thanks to gameplay monitization in the SNS space, but the people uttering them and defining the meanings have not.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Nov 06 2012, 03:59 PM)As far as concerned, games should only be one thing first. Fun. In that degree, there are few developers that can even claim a 1/10 of Nintendo's legacy.
For what it's worth, the man responsible for Nintendo's legacy died a long time ago. they've just been on a slow decline with random highlights of "can we imitate apple?" ever since.

QUOTE (Nemingway @ Nov 06 2012, 07:18 PM)So you think that playing "Wii Sport" is "fun",'

I am a nintendo fanboy but I am not a blind fanboy. Like I said, I did not buy a wii nor did I buy a 360 or PS3. I just stuck to pc.

QUOTE And as a note, no I'm not "brainwashed" as it is suggested in your post
sleep.gif
'

Im not saying you are brainwashed but I get annoyed when people use those words casually. Creating and using those words is the oldest trick in the book. Divide and conquer. And while people are arguing over those silly words, people are not realising that games journalism is morally bankrupt,publishers are pushing for a gaming crash as they try to transform games product industry into a service industry and etc.

QUOTE 7 years? My inner cynic thinks it's closer to twenty.

Platform tribalism has always existed, but now it has just gone bat sh@t crazy.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Nov 06 2012, 07:38 PM) publishers are pushing for a gaming crash as they try to transform games product industry into a service industry and etc.
Actually, I'd argue the console companies themselves are the ones pushing for a neo-atari apocalypse:

Nintendo is pushing out new variants of the DS so fast that the new variants are competing against the other variants and the average consumer doesn't even know there's a difference between them.

Sony has three consoles and is competing with itself for sales.

Microsoft is trying to compete against the 360/720 with Windows 8 smartphones.

And then you have smartphones and tablets leeching developers because most of the small developers who want to develop for the consoles are asked to pay horrible fees for the development kits required to do so.

The games industry is bucking for another atari-era crash and SAAS is the only thing keeping it together.

QUOTE SAAS is the only thing keeping it together.

Ask yourself why they need SAAS in the first place. Because Sony and Microsoft overshot the market. Everyone assumes no hd for Wii was stupid but penetration of HD television only started real market penetration in 2008. No one ever asks whether it was actually too soon for HD.

And overshooting the market had devastating consequences. Developers were put in a position where SAAS was needed. It allowed asshole big publishers to cannibalise the market and think of devious ways to extract more revenue streams from the consumer and then justify it by the need to survive. Ever hear that story that Dead Space 3 needs to sell 5 million to sustain the franchise? Holding consumers to ransom. So it is not by consumer demand that this is happening, developers are doing it to make profit and have slowly conditioned consumers to accept it.

I dont really blame Sony, because they like to make perfect products regardless of market trends. And that is why their balance sheet is horrible. I dont even blame Microsoft because they were corrupted by Mark Rein. I firmly blame Epic for alot of the crap that has gone on this generation and no one even understands what I'm talking about or how evil they are.

Long story short, when SAAS becomes integral to the industry, I say its time to let it burn.

HD and almost everything you believe about hardware is wrong.

Frankly, if you're going to blame graphics hardware, you should be blaming John Carmack, his failure of a tech demo company, and the gaming media who swears by the latest highest poly 3D engine because they want to relive the glory days of quake deathmatches in highschool. Not the hardware devs.

That's if you blame HD, which you shouldn't. The hardware devs are to blame, but it has nothing to do with HD. The current console war isn't one caused by corded console HD graphics wars, it's one caused by releasing too many handheld devices too soon, because the handheld devices actually compete against the corded consoles and have since the GBA said "Hey, look, remember the SNES that you loved so much? Here it is again, but you can take it with you!"

And then you could take the PS1 with you. And then the N64. And then the gamecube. And then the PS2 and a half. The handhelds kept comin' long before developers ever ran out of things to do on the hardware.

Quite frankly, with over ten consoles to choose from, consumers are so split that when a company drops $130+ million into attempting a triple A title, and that triple A title fails to achieve solvency nine times out of ten because they had to port it to four out of ten consoles?

The industry is not Nintendo vs Sony vs Microsoft vs PC.

It's Wii vs DS vs 3DS vs PS3 vs PSP vs PSV vs 360 vs PC vs Flash vs HTML5 vs iOS vs Android in a steel octagon free for all.

When the WiiU and Ouya come out, it will add those two to the list. The WiiU will NOT replace the Wii. They will compete with each other.

When you're looking at an atari era style free for all, that's when you need some successful SAAS products to bankroll your publishing company so you can afford to eat failures like that. Because without it we would have had an atari style industry crash five years ago. One successful SAAS product like WoW, Farmville, etc. can bring in enough money to bankroll twenty attempts at a successful triple A titles.

There's nothing wrong with SAAS by itself. The mistaken belief that it's a sole dependency is a problem, but the console companies seriously need to say "Hold on, hold on, hold on, we need to downsize" and start dropping support and licensing for some of the consoles.

And then there's the used games industry. God, if there was ever an industry that needed to die to prevent product cannibalization, used games is it.

Triple A gaming needs to stop as well, but that's an idiot publisher belief we're not getting rid of any time soon. I'll settle for getting the industry to downsize it's handheld mess.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Nov 08 2012, 04:03 PM) I dont really blame Sony, because they like to make perfect products regardless of market trends. And that is why their balance sheet is horrible.
Woah woah woah good sir, i must interject. I think you need to take some time and reevaluate sony for their recent work and forget the 80s and 90s for a minute. Ever since sony has become a content company and lost their focus on hardware, they have used hardware as a loss leader for software. Theyve also been one of the main forces behind draconian policies that allow SAAS to thrive. The rootkit debacle? The otherOS ps3 issue? The poor security on the PSN? These are all products of their crusade against consumer rights in the name of profits. Their hardware is no longer better than their competitors and they are living off their name. Most technocrats have abandoned them and stopped recommending them for their electronics and the resulting decline is whats killing their margins, not their drive to make good products.

As someone told me, providing a good product or service is the mission, profit is just the reward. When a company loses that focus it starts it decline. Sony's functioning on borrowed time and past goodwill, and that will eventually dry up, then we'll be seeing their name next to Sharp on the japanese companies on the cliff list.

QUOTE Woah woah woah good sir, i must interject

I dont think you understand the tone of my post. I was being sardonic. Ive seen Sony balance sheet. I wouldnt be surprised if they packed up tomorrow. Never owned a PS3 or any playstation, but objectively out of the main three consoles today, everyone attests to PS3 being a superior build in terms of tech it packed in. Did the market particularly need blu-ray or 6 core cells only first parties can tap into. Certainly not. It is just a shame for them that their engineers arrogance blinds them to the realities of the market.

QUOTE HD and almost everything you believe about hardware is wrong.

Meh point taken but you are talking about delivery mechanisms and that strikes me as being in the same bracket of big publishers releasing weekly propaganda that free to play is the future and that owning media is a fallacy. Strikes me as anti-consumer.

As a person that likes the dedicated space. I want a boxed product. I dont want to have to subscribe to CoD Elite or BF3 premium to get the full experience nor do I want dlc if they are not genuine expansions. I want contained experiences, not micro experiences fed to me over time. I want to own my media and I want it to be fun. As I see it, there are many forces in and outside trying to destroy this notion.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back