Mysterious Girlfriend X

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Hiroyuki

-sama
Retired
Mysterious Girlfriend X (謎の彼女X Nazo no Kanojo X) is a really weird school romance story by Riichi Ueshiba that finally started getting scanlated. Originally a short story of two chapters, it got picked up as a full serial a while ago by Afternoon.

Akira Tsubaki is an ordinary adolescent boy, but then this mysterious transfer student arrives. With her hair over her eyes, she has an inscrutable and enticing appearance. Her name is Mikoto Urabe, and she is unbelievably weird. Like Haruhi Suzumiya, she doesn't deign to speak to her classmates, but Akira gets drawn into her world when he tastes some saliva that had dribbled out of her mouth and becomes addicted to it! You might say this was his first taste of girls....

Mikoto has a secret, she keeps a pair of scissors down the side of her knickers, and is quick on the draw with them. Like Haruhi, the normal world is too boring for her, and she agrees to become his girlfriend only if he can think of an original way of asking her, and their relationship from then on is absolutely everything except normal......

This is a really amazing story with a good-looking visual style, after reading the short version a couple of years ago it was great to hear that it was going to be extended into a full manga. The real mystery to me is why it has taken over a year for someone to pick this up!

that sound weird really weird

Ah, I remember picking this manga up after reading a bit of it on BU. I was like, hmmm, it sounds interesting. Well, interesting might not be the best way to say it..perhaps.....weird.

I mean, first of all, that whole saliva thing...wtf? Lol, and also the fact that the storyline was full of endless holes and pointless lines...it really was a disaster in my opinion. I don't understand how this series came to be one of the top in rankings up on BU...some things are beyond logical to me. Well, to each their own as I say.

I think the thing about Mysterious Girlfriend X is that it's a really original take on high school romance. Two things stand out: instead of endlessly prevaricating like so many other stories do, where maybe they only get together in the last volume, the main characters get into a relationship almost straight away. Instead the mystery revolves around the relationship itself, a very strange relationship to be sure, but it makes me intrigued, wanting to know more about what is really going on in Mikoto's head, why she is so weird.

I suppose whether you like this kind of story or not depends on whether you like weird girls or normal girls. I've never found normal girls interesting myself, I like people who are different and original in their way of thinking, and that is certainly true of this girl, her persona is one huge mystery waiting to be unravelled. I would compare her to other enigmatic heroines like Rei Ayanami, who is also cute and yet strange and incomprehensible even to herself.

Just a little bump for this thread....

this manga has been my favourite current manga for a long time now, although it comes out frustratingly slowly: 20 chapters in one year. The double page spread below from the current release (chapter 20) shows what I like about it: the visuals are very stylish, especially the dream sequences. Take a look at the weird stuff in this room for instance, such as the teddy bear, and all the images of the girl Mikoto with her one-eyed look:

The strange feel of the story matches the visuals too. The author, Riichi Ueshiba, has said that he deliberately chose to have the characters of his romantic story 17 years old because it creates a "will they, won't they" feeling: they're not so young that sex would be out of the question, but not so old that it becomes a foregone conclusion.

Just found this topic by chance, damn I'm lucky - became intrigued with the plot and read all 20 chapters so far tonight; this manga gets the special bulletspawn thumbs up
sleep.gif

seriously urabe is like an enigma wrapped in a puzzle guarded by a riddle very mysterious indeed I really can't wait for chapter 21 the end of chapter 20 was very...interesting.

Hiro you have sold this Manga to me, then again the thread description made me want to check it out. Im sure its probabaly as good as your making out.

I suppose it will keep me happy for a while, im needing a new bulk of Manga since im out of Kamen Teacher. Well Hiro, i look forward to reading it and having disscussions with you and Bullet

Thank you

Some other scanlator has come into the picture, doing it from the monthy chapters in Afternoon instead of the Tankubon, so suddenly there are 3 more chapters available.

I hadn't actually noticed before that this manga was in a monthly rather than a weekly magazine, I guess that explains the slow rate at which it is coming out: 23 chapters is nearly 2 year's worth, and it started being serialised about 2 years ago I think.

man that manga sound pretty twisted....salive thingy is just....anyway is it any good? does it keep talking about ..bodily fluids and stuff?

Except the saliva-licking, no (and even this stay tame. It's just a trick to convey the feelings of the various characters).

QUOTE (sera4)man that manga sound pretty twisted....salive thingy is just.
If you think about it, when people french kiss they get each other's saliva so this could be seen as a weird alternative to kissing, certainly no more gross than sticking your tongue in someone's mouth!

But as Dalriada says, it's really just a way for them to communicate their feelings directly to one another, when they taste each other's saliva they experience the other person's feelings, in fact it also transmits other bodily experiences like injuries too!

^ thats nonesense, an exchanging of saliva might sound ok but the means to do it.... do they spit into eachothers mouth? ewww... only feeling i'd find in that is rejection since it seems my partner doesn't want lip contact haha, but i admit it may be tamer on the gross factor if you think about it, hopefully everyone takes a look at their lovers mouth before sticking their tongue in there

Note: a kiss is done for the body contact not the silivia swapping, those two cant be compared
wink.gif
laugh.gif
there some other examples but this is not the place to talk about it... kids might be reading this!

as for the manga itself, its not that bad judging by the first chapter and if you need a decent read inbetween your own favorites i'd certainly recommend it... unless of course romances are your favorite genre then you have to read this, sadly i seem to prefer horror lately

Thanks. I'm more or less like you, i find normal manga girls to be kinda boring.

Well, i'm kind of new to this forum, so can you tell me if there are any more mangas that's kind of like this? (Btw, i loved this mysterious girlfriend X, i've been searching for something like this subconciously for a long time)

There's a rumour that Mysterious Girlfriend X has been cancelled by the magazine it's running in, does anyone know anything about this? I hope it's not true!

Yeah, im afraid the rumors are true. Unfortuantly, the manga has fallen prey to the same fate as mx0 and double arts. All we can do is hope that it sumhow will continue.
|''''''''|
|R.I.P|
|........|
Mysterious Girlfriend X
Nov 2007 - Nov 2008.

Farewell, it was a good ride
sad.gif

SIKE!!! no worries dude, thats JUST rumor. i shall SQUISH IT...NOW!!

The manga is just on a break, be back Janauary 9th.

I was worried to, i have been following this manga since its start. Id hate to have it fall prey to the same fate as Mx0 or Double Arts.

After checking this one out i was pretty amazed. Since all "romance" stuff are REALLY boring this was very interesting and it didn`t really let me get bored.

I`m looking for some other mangas of this type.

Heard that Sundome is how should i saw it weird as this one ; can anyone tell me if the rumor sundome being alike with girlfriend X is true?

Thanks in advance!
( some people really keep us alive with this kind of mangas since lots are like " omg i wanna draw manga " resulting a boring similar story to other 1 billion mangas )

oh. just in case. go back to my last post. and click the spoiler at the end of the post.

Id hate for any of you to miss it
tongue.gif

would MGX make a good anime?

well if MGX would be and anime... hmm it would something new and interesting that`s for sure.

still looking for something that`s similar to MGX thanks
tongue.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back