Winter Season 2016 Line-Up & predictions

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council
(no OVAs/films yet)
- my must see: 1. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu: Sotsugyou-hen (Graduation last arc?) :0
2. GATE Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri: Enryuu-hen (Fire Dragon hunt) ^^
- hopefully better than other seasons: 3. Schwarzesmarken (Muv-Luv spinoff) ;(
4. Akagami no Shirayuki-hime s2 (i wanna see how much the story improves) :/
- could be good telling by studios: 5. Grimgar of Fantasy & Ash (A-1 Pictures) :3
6. Myriad Colors Phantom World (so KyoAni won't do Hibike Euphonium s2?) ¬¬
- not expecting much: 7. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (it's Studio Deen)
sleep.gif

Prince of Stride: Alternative sounds interesting for runners or ex-runners like myself... 'flying' through towns or cities, sounds like one of those American 'reality tv' shows... 'Amazing Race' or something like that. Is this a second season with that :Alternative after it? Was there a first season?

Just started looking through the list... so many of them sound exactly the same... just a change of clothing or settings... 'end-times'... 'aliens attack/eat the world', 'turn back time' etc... not that there isn't some truth to that from an esoteric viewpoint, after the 'transition', which looks to be next year I think... sometime after the dark star passes by... but as usual, the storylines never get closer to the truth, underlying reality, hyperdimensional etc... oh well... the core is still there, but like the fashion industry, is one repeat after the next it seems.

That Shouwa Genroku Rakugo... sounds very Japanese specific, as it's hard to translate much of comedy when it's culturally specific... otherwise, it sounds interesting... but that discription of 'anti-hero' as 'dim-witted'???
dry.gif
who translated that one?
blink.gif

Ajin... sounds interesting as a concept.

Hai to Gensou no Grimgar sounds interesting as long as the staff doesn't make it like a video game or a fantasy game world... keep it real and it would be more 'real'... like Matrix.

Bubuki Buranki ?? wonder what it is... likely a representation of the studio with it's anniversery... so what have they done in the past/present? anything goood?

Oh well, there's always the latest of Tamayura
biggrin.gif

Hmm... Next season looks to have some interesting things.

Definitely will watch:
1) PSO2 The Animation. I can't ever seem to get into the game for a variety of reasons (Awkward gameplay, but I otherwise like the series.
2) Fairy Tail Zero.
3) Gate Enryuu Hen.
4) Shirayuki-hime S2.

Maybes:
1) God Eater. don't know much about it, but could be an interesting action show.
2) Divine Gate. Same.
3) Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! This one's a funny Isekai story I followed the Manga for until the translator got bored of it. It's not the best, but it's amusing. Depending on how badly they add saccarin to the harem/ecchi this could be the worst show of the season, and considering some of the Studio DEEN offerings, that's saying something.
4) Hai to Gensou no Grimgar. Looks like another Isekai. Art is at least interesting.
5) Saijaku Muhai no Bahamut. Hey, remember how at the start of the current season I referenced the dragon mecha fight academy where the main character rides Bahamut and the lead girl rides Tiamat? Guess what the cat dragged in.

One of these days I need to go back and catch up on OVAs for all the series I've enjoyed.

Version 2.0
8. Phantasy Star Online 2 (game adaptations are hit or miss but still i'll try it) ;p
OVA/films from high to low preference: 1. Working!!! - Lord of the Takanashi (!)
2. Kizumonogatari I: Tekketsu-hen (finally after 6 years yet divided in films) o.0
3. Kamisama Hajimemashita ◎ -Kitsune, Koi ni Ochiru- (Kako-hen 2nd OVA) ;o
4. One-Punch Man OVAs (I guess mini-extras of comedy not so full of action) xD
5. Akagami no Shirayukihime Nandemonai Takaramono, Kono Page (prequel) ;/
6. Hibike! Euphonium: Kakedesu Monaka (hopefully better than the specials) -.-
7. Owari no Seraph: Owaranai Seraph Nagoya Kessen Hen (more parodies) <.<
8. Ore ga Ojou-sama Gakkou ni "Shomin Sample" Toshite Gets Sareta Ken S (?)
9. Shinmai Maou no Testament Burst OVA (without censored scenes at last)
dry.gif

I wonder what kind of entertainment is waiting for me next season!

*5 Minutes Later*

1. Assassination Classroom 2nd season
2. Dagashi Kashi

This past year and I mean all the way to Winter Season of 2015, I had 21 shows to watch. And from that amount only 13 of which I completely watched to its end... This new year is starting with only Two!!! I agree with most critics... To much Magic, Sci-fi, Romance and Ecchi shows, as of late...
And I can already tell that Spring won't be much different either... At least not for me ><

Version 3.0 (Koyomimonogatari added)
QUOTE (Masich @ Dec 23 2015, 05:30 PM)I agree with most critics... To much Magic, Sci-fi, Romance and Ecchi shows, as of late...
And I can already tell that Spring won't be much different either...actually there are more Spring series, than the Winter lineup that interest me... about critics Ok, Luck & Logic and Bubuki Buranki preairs didn't convince me
sleep.gif

Hmm, i must say that the line for winter does indeed seem to harbor a lot of same genre series.
I sure will watch Gate second season, HaruChika, Yami Shibai, Ojisan to marshmallow.
The rest will be depending on how i liked the first two or three episodes..i hope that one is going to be a hidden gem...or at least be above average.

Wake up girls beyond the bottom is of course on my watch list for movies. Too bad that the series always is overshadowed by Love Live...even if the series is at least as good..

Mostly looking forward to some of the sequels. Gate, Durarara, Akagami no Shirayuki-hime, AssClass. There are a few other new shows I'm interested in or intrigued by, like Dagashi Kashi, Ajin, Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, Dimension W and the new KyoAni show Myriad Colors Phantom World.

I'll check out others as I always do of course, but that's the short list so far.

I wonder what Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is going to be like? At least it seems different, as the main character isn't in elementary, jr high or high school... that seems like progress!
biggrin.gif
That caption says 'mature' character... here in the States, that usually means someone near or in the usual retirement age... as in senior citizen, which the picture doesn't seem to be... he looks to be in his late 30s to 40s... is that 'mature' in Japan?
blink.gif
It sounds like a 'mature' storyline... which must mean anyone that has left high school, right?
tongue.gif
Has this storyline been done before? It is 'comic storytelling' so it should be funny, though perhaps in a 'mature' manner? Is 'mature' manga/anime a completely different format in Japan? The caption seems the same though... still a 'dim-witted,' anti-hero, mature man... maybe that 'dim' fits the comic aspects?

I'm still liking the look of 'Ajin'.

Overall, episodic television seems like a thing of the past... end of season downloading seems way better... now it's still up to the industry to make it all work from a business standpoint.

Final version
QUOTE (Barbobot @ Jan 4 2016, 03:33 PM)I'll check out others as I always do of course, but that's the short list
QUOTE (gdpetti @ Jan 4 2016,09:51 PM)episodic television seems like a thing of the past... end of season downloading seems way better... now it's still up to the industry to make it all workSo far which new series (no S2s) you'll keep watching? I'm still not sure except:

1. Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
2. Dimension W
3. Shoujo-tachi wa Kouya wo Mezasu
4. Hai to Gensou no Grimgar
5. Dagashi Kashi
6. Musaigen no Phantom World
7. Active Raid: Kidou Kyoushuushitsu Dai Hakkei
8. Ajin: Demi-Human (to try out this Friday)
9. Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! (Wednesday)
10. Reikenzan: Hoshikuzu-tachi no Utage (no subs yet) -.-

QUOTE (Barbobot @ Jan 11 2016, 11:20 PM)the 4 sequels I had mentioned in a previous post, Durarara, AssClass, Akagami, and GATE. Then there's also the new Lupin series which is FINALLY getting streamed so I can now watch it. I haven't tried Girls Beyond the Wasteland yet so maybe that'll be goodim watching most of your s2 choices lately too, lets see what others recommend

1. GATE Jieitai Kanochi nite Kaku Tatakaeri: Enryuu-hen
2. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu (sequel of OVAs)
3. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 2nd season: Sotsugyou-hen
4. Lupin III: L'avventura Italiana 2nd cour
5. KoyomiMonogatari (Final season ONA series)
6. Heavy Object 2nd cour
7. Akagami no Shirayuki-hime 2nd season
8. Utawarerumono: Itsuwari no Kamen 2nd cour
9. Schwarzesmarken (MLA:TE prequel)
10. Dragon Ball Super (a new arc soon)

QUOTE (Norren @ Jan 16 2016, 05:48 PM)not sure what I think of Bahamut yet, but the art style is a disappointment.
QUOTE (Norren @ Dec 06 2015,04:16 AM)Hey, remember how at the start of the current season I referenced the dragon mecha fight academy where the main character rides Bahamut and the lead girl rides Tiamat? Guess what the cat draggedxD of course! still I don't mind, if a Battle Academiez rehash turns out OK but... is hilarious 'This will literally never end', so glad I didn't try S1
laugh.gif

So for new series after watching most of the first episodes I've narrowed things down. I think Konno Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! and Ajin are the only shows that haven't aired yet that I'll give a shot. Though Ajin was picked up by Netflix so I may have to wait on that one or I'll just resort to fansubs like I did for Seven Deadly Sins.

So for now I'll be sticking with:

ERASED
Myriad Colors Phantom World (for now at least. the first episode wasn't great)
Dagashi Kashi
Active Raid
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Luck and Logic (another "for now" show)
Dimension W
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash

Plus the 4 sequels I had mentioned in a previous post, Durarara, AssClass, Akagami, and GATE. Then there's also the new Lupin series which is FINALLY getting streamed so I can now watch it. I haven't tried Girls Beyond the Wasteland yet so maybe that'll be good enough to stick with, but that seems like it'll be it for Winter 2016.

Ugh, PSO2's second episode sheds light on the management thinking that caused Sega to fail. Especially SORO-chan's implication that PSO2 had significance above and beyond having fun.
huh.gif
In what parallel universe does anything she said about Ethernet make sense?
blink.gif

Aside from that, I still haven't figured out if this is a good or bad season yet. Most of my watch candidates are all leaving me with a "meh" feeling. I tried a few drive by pickups to see what I thought of those, Koukaku no Pandora EP 1 made me go "nope!", Divine Gate is doing it's best to misuse a storytelling technique meant for longer timeslots, Active Raid... I never thought an Action Cop Drama combined with Kamen Rider was possible. (Still needs a little more awesome to hit Kung Fury's level, tho'.)

I'm not sure what I think of Bahamut yet, but the art style is a disappointment.

I still need to try out some stuff like Rakugo and Boku Dake.

The Macross Delta PV makes me want next season more than I should.

QUOTE (Norren @ Jan 16 2016, 05:48 PM)
I still need to try out some stuff like Rakugo and Boku Dake.

I like both of those... well constructed storylines so far.... good characterization etc.... more 'adult' fare it seems.
I don't think Ajin has aired yet...

I looked at the first couple of eps of that Magical Girl Nante.... the eps are only 4.5 mins long? Must be some kind of OVA filler or something intended for elementary girls.... perhaps under 6 to 9?
laugh.gif
Better to wait till the whole season is over to watch them all at once. Why do they even make them like this?

Still haven't watched Rakugo and Bokudake, but picked up Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm.

Wasn't sure at first, but really like it. It manages to be a pretty interesting spin on the highschool sports genre, with a made up sort that involves shoes that let people fly around like the girls in Strike Witches. It's got all the classic characters- broken ace, ace rival, passionate newbie, etc. Good use of 3DCG, not quite as good as it was in Asterisk, but close.

The main character reminds me of a naive version of Jinrui wa suitai shimashita's Watashi in ways.

Just checked out Stride, besides the usual High School stuff for characters, I'm liking the whole speed running matches... nice editing, flashy and paced for the runs and/or tempo of the storyline... one thing that seems typical is how some of these guys look to be about a decade older than they're supposed to be, sort of like some Hollywood musical... say Grease, full of people way older looking.
rolleyes.gif

That said, so far, so good. They're inserting the run competitions in the last couple of eps really nicely, setting up for older classmates to return etc. It would be easy to keep this show going, just switch out the team members each season, getting rid of the 3rd years.

opening and closing songs aren't memorable, but faced paced and fits the pacing of the show, to pump up the viewers/runners it seems... maintains that style in the beginning, then storyline development in the middle and then competition at the end with the same style elements in the closing song. Technically, it's really nice to look at and watch, I just hope they keep the character growth/storyline going as well as they've done so far.

================
watched your Ao no Kanata no 4 Rhythm... another HS show of course, with pretty girls in abundance as usual... pacing is slower, but it's a cute show, and the additional element of the flying shoes used as a sky competition is what makes it different, otherwise, so many of these seem the same. The fantasy flying competition is rather interesting to watch, sort of reminds me of the whole Harry Potter thing flying around in the sky, only it seems to be like a one-on-one basketball competition. Again, like Stride, the awaited return of a former player as that guy seems to be in this one. Guess I liked Stride better because I was a runner.
tongue.gif
Though that one is loaded with dudes, while this one is easier on the eyes.
biggrin.gif
I wonder what the demographics for the various shows are like?

AJIN has as of episode one firmly cemented it's place in my TOP 5 anime of the winter season. (It really doesn't have much competition this season though to be honest.)

I made most of my observations over in the AJIN thread, but the general gist of it is dark, disturbing, bleak, and depressing. And by far one of the most interesting storylines since 2014. Tokyo Ghoul got better as it went on, but this hits the uber-creepy right out of the gate. There are monsters out there... And they should fear US. Humans may not be at the top of the food chain, but they ARE the very best at being scum. Bitter pill. Makes me take stock of my life and actions. Hope it does the same for others.

All that from ONE EPISODE. Now that to me, is GOOD WRITING.

I use kissanime, but after watching the AJIN film, i'm wondering if the tv series is the same only stretched out or a different version? The animation was ok, but at times a little flat, not enough to bother with though, considering how dark it usually is, it isn't noticed as much as an upbeat daytime show.

So, a few of the shows this season don't have threads, but I need to post a scathing review of hate on one so that people know better than to watch it.

Divine Gate. 3/10.

Easily a contestant for the worst anime this season, competing with Koukaku no Pandora and blowing past Phantasy Star Online 2 in their mutual race to the bottom. I managed to actually make it to the end of Divine Gate, while I relegated KnP to my "marathon if I'm bored" list.

The reasoning behind this as one of the worst anime this season isn't hard to understand- Divine Gate is a 12 episode commercial for a Cellphone Pay to win gatchapon game. The plot can be boiled down to "Strange mind games that make no sense" and fails to deliver on any of it's promises.

Over half the cast dies? They get better. King Arthur gets mind controlled by the norse god of chaos and lies? It's okay, Santa Claus will try to hit Loki in the face with Excalibolg a baseball bat full of nails. The main characters are about to be brutally murdered by a bunch of nameless gods? The Wizard of Oz will fix it all. At one point the characters get thrown in a jail where loli-shakespear can control their bodies with her magical quill pen as she writes weird stories. There's a bunch of things here that a good writer could have used, but this story managed to make everything look like last minute randomness.
rolleyes.gif

The most coherent message in the story is "The world has to change" and they beat you over the head with things that make you agree- parents abuse their kids to try to make them stronger elemental magic users since the entire magic system requires despair as a starting point for magic powers. People live in absolute poverty for no explained reason. There's an entire race of half-breed monsters whose story I don't even remember because the designated goodguys killed them all a few minutes after they showed up for a half explained reason. Eventually it's all passed off as "The gods like to see man suffer" and when our protagonists are given the chance to fix it all with the divine gate, they shrug, decide they suck, then throw away the omnipotent wish machine and go back to the effed up world they were just trying to change.
blink.gif

The most noteworthy thing Divine Gate has going for it is the artwork, a reasonably well done blend of 3DCG and digital frames that is completely wasted on the writing. It actually has a pretty interesting retro-throwback style, making use of rich black shading in a way that meshes nicely with the 3DCG. You can identify the Elemental spirits from ordinary people by their outline color, while otherwise looking completely normal. (The kind of thing I thought I'd only ever see in Pixiv CGs and the occasional Web manhwa.) There's quite a bit of artistic prowess being shown off in this show, but it's totally wasted on it.

Review of Koukaku no Pandora will come when I actually watch it, I decided I wasn't going to watch it weekly after the second episode when I realized the lead girl masturbating the supporting lead girl as part of the transformation scene was going to be a recurring theme.

Phantasy Star Online 2 still has an episode left, but really cannot redeem itself after that Ethernet rant by Rina, and after managing to stretch 5 minutes of plot across 8 episodes, it's safe to say it didn't even try.

Watching this Kagewani now... short 8 min eps... and it's a mystery monster tracker situation of sorts... interesting... pretty good, haven't seen this type of cutout animation in a while.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back