• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
  • Interests:Anime =) - esp fantasy, school comedy, fighting;
    All sorts of metal - including Japanese;
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 17 August 2009 - 08:20 AM

I dunno, but they're fun games. There's also the fandom and the moe factor, and once those things start they can only grow. The games seem to attract a wide variety of people with different interests, so the fandom has something to offer for everyone - music, art, comics, anime, MAD, manzai, game remakes... etc etc.

I also don't think SWR is any similar to BMW. There are Touhou SLGs though (there's even an RTS!!), but none have been translated to English. I guess any fighting game comes to a point where they have to release sequels that have few changes in them (look at Guilty Gear series). Well, adding Cirno and Meiling only makes sense, since, iirc, moth were charas in the earlier IaMP.
<p>monofood.gif<br><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.animenews...r=Ausdoerrt'>My rarely-updated anime list</a></p>

#22 Siegel-kun

Siegel-kun
  • Kouhais
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:11 AM

There r already new release of Touhou game..Touhou 12.3.
It an expansion patch of SWR.

#23 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

~ Random Touhou link finder ~

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Touhou, games (be they PC, console, or even traditional biased), Touhou, Meidos, Visual Novels, Touhou, oh and did I mention Touhou lol

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:03 PM

You know I kind of wonder how they managed to keep this in the mainstream every now and again. The most blatent one as of late was in Umineko episode 7 I belive. they even had that moment in the Visual Novel as well.

In any case you would think someone would go out of thier way and manage to bring this over State side with little to no problems. Kind of like how people are somewhat beging for a Melty Blood arcade to be brought over State side translated of course.

- Miko Miko Mode Oni Version

#24 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 06 October 2009 - 10:27 PM

They don't give a crap in the US. They can haz Halo 7.

Plus, people who like it already have it, and it's not likely to do well outside its niche.
<p>monofood.gif<br><a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.animenews...r=Ausdoerrt'>My rarely-updated anime list</a></p>

#25 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Touhou, games (be they PC, console, or even traditional biased), Touhou, Meidos, Visual Novels, Touhou, oh and did I mention Touhou lol

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:22 AM

Bah what's the worst that could happen. All they need to do is give it a chance outside thier safe zone evey once in a while. I mean you never know it might became a major hit or not depening on how it's recieved.

#26 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:01 AM

Well, looking at the history of danmaku in US and also not seeing it among the few "in vogue" titles makes not seeing it licensed in US anytime soon.

Plus, what's the difference anyway, right now it's free, and fans make English patches.

#27 khael

khael

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ being M

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts
  • Location:Room 29A, 1232 Lightbringer Building Adversary St. cor. Queens St., 6th Circle Hellstown
  • Interests:Anime! And gaming! And money!

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:32 AM

Yes. Serializing it would only mean we have to pay for it... :3 Sorry Zun but that's the way it is.
user posted image

"If it's for the sake of seeing others suffer, no effort is too great." ~Prince Baka

If you're going to enforce rules, don't be a hypocrite. You know who you are.

Things to note when reading my posts:
I have bad memory.
I'm like that anime character who's bad with names. I'm literally bad with names and faces.
I'm tired of political correctness/correctness in general, screw that, this is the internet.
Spelling liek dis doesn't necessitate illiteracy. U call it linguistic anarchy i.e. being lazy.
Also, I ****ed YOU'RE mom.

#28 dchaosblade

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2992 posts
  • Interests:Too many to list, but to get a start on it: quotes, reading, writing, anime, games, computers, &amp;c.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:47 AM

Sooo...if I wanted to try this out, which game should I start with? I don't want to get hit with a game thats near-impossible and get frustrated at it; and based on the comments here, that's what'd happen if I played some of them...
Don't forget, the edit and search buttons are your friend!
user posted image

#29 khael

khael

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ being M

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts
  • Location:Room 29A, 1232 Lightbringer Building Adversary St. cor. Queens St., 6th Circle Hellstown

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:50 AM

The old ones, the PC 98 games. Then do them in the hardest modes immediately. OR you can try out the newer games. Don't play Immaterial and Missing Power since its a fighting game, not a curtain fire shooter.
user posted image

"If it's for the sake of seeing others suffer, no effort is too great." ~Prince Baka

I have bad memory.
I'm like that anime character who's bad with names. I'm literally bad with names and faces.
I'm tired of political correctness/correctness in general, screw that, this is the internet.
Spelling liek dis doesn't necessitate illiteracy. U call it linguistic anarchy i.e. being lazy.

#30 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:46 PM

QUOTE (dchaosblade @ Oct 06 2009, 09:47 PM)
Sooo...if I wanted to try this out, which game should I start with? I don't want to get hit with a game thats near-impossible and get frustrated at it; and based on the comments here, that's what'd happen if I played some of them...

Unless you reeeeally want to try the oldies, I'd start with the newer games. They're more fun anyway (apart from Touhou1, which is more like Arcanoid).

If you want to make a nice acquaintance to the games, go for Perfect Cherry Blossom or Imperishable Night (7 and 8 respectively). They both have english translation, and are considered the best of Touhou games. Start with Easy or Normal (since sometimes Normal makes more sense and may be easier than Easy).

Embodiment of Scarlet Devil (6) is also very fun, and has some of my favourite characters, but it doesn't have a hitbox yet, so it will be very hard unless you get the hitbox mod (you'll know wtf I'm talking about as you're getting into it).

It still will be a game that makes you frustrated, and it takes a few tries to finish even on Easy. Good luck! Remember, if confused, check Touhou Wiki!

#31 JunMisugi

JunMisugi

-書籍の恋人

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3209 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 02:59 PM

Jyaaa actually all are pretty difficult tongue.gif But like ausdorret has said you should try Perfect cherry or Imperishable Night, I'd go more for Imperishable Night sicne it's probably the easiest of all games. Ah yeah and one hint right away "focus" you know what that means when you play it.
If you want to make a nice acquaintance to the games, go for Perfect Cherry Blossom or Imperishable Night (7 and 8 respectively). They both have english translation, and are considered the best of Touhou games.
Actually all games (almost all only 2 to 5 and 12.3 is missing)are translated to english as of now, even UFO lol got to love byakuren <3
Yes. Serializing it would only mean we have to pay for it... :3 Sorry Zun but that's the way it is.
Another point is if it would get serialized to a larger crowd, and espicially if it gets serialized in the US then the newer Touhou games would totally suck, since I guess they would be made easier for all sunday afternoon players and then Touhou wouldn't be Touhou anymore. I like the way Touhou is right now, and people who are interested in it can easily grab it.

Ps: I wish this were real but the drawings are just too good for ZUN, dang I want to have Mima back >_<

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."

Helen Keller

#32 khael

khael

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ being M

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:58 AM

Another point is if it would get serialized to a larger crowd, and espicially if it gets serialized in the US then the newer Touhou games would totally suck, since I guess they would be made easier for all sunday afternoon players and then Touhou wouldn't be Touhou anymore. I like the way Touhou is right now, and people who are interested in it can easily grab it.

Oh you mean the inverse proportionality of popularity and goodness? Yeah forgot about that.

Start with Easy or Normal (since sometimes Normal makes more sense and may be easier than Easy).

Don't be a killjoy, let him try the hardest modes first tongue.gif.

BTW which site do you usually use to download doujin soft? I lost my favorite website. It had all the Touhou games at the time and some other doujin softs that i wanted to try.
user posted image

I have bad memory.

#33 JunMisugi

JunMisugi

-書籍の恋人

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3209 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:51 AM

Don't be a killjoy, let him try the hardest modes first tongue.gif.
Lol I still get pretty much raped on hard tongue.gif but at least I do decently on normal biggrin.gif
BTW which site do you usually use to download doujin soft? I lost my favorite website. It had all the Touhou games at the time and some other doujin softs that i wanted to try.
Could it be that you talk about doujinstyle? Well I still use the forums of it and get my touhou and doujin stuff from it. But it's really a pity that the main site of them is down.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart."

Helen Keller

#34 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:35 AM

QUOTE (JunMisugi @ Oct 08 2009, 10:51 PM)
Could it be that you talk about doujinstyle? Well I still use the forums of it and get my touhou and doujin stuff from it. But it's really a pity that the main site of them is down.

Their main site is not down, it simply went out of business. Died. Closed down due to high maintenance costs. TBH, they're still doing fine as a forum, and it's faster to DL through upload services that a laggy overloaded server anyway.

#35 JunMisugi

JunMisugi

-書籍の恋人

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3209 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:18 AM

Their main site is not down, it simply went out of business. Died. Closed down due to high maintenance costs. TBH, they're still doing fine as a forum, and it's faster to DL through upload services that a laggy overloaded server anyway.
Not quite, the main reason the main site went down( or died its more or less the same for me) was as far as I can recall legal issues.

Helen Keller

#36 Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt

-sama

• Retired
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3344 posts
    All the Japanese stuff;
    Russian science fiction.

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

^ Nope, that was an April fool's. Here's the reason: http://www.doujinsty...showtopic=13400

#37 khael

khael

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ being M

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for reminding me guys, I've been looking for it.
user posted image

I have bad memory.

#38 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:20 PM

Actually it's more along that site decided to have people as registered users to check out that site it seems.

In any case I have to ask the obvious question that may have been asked before. How did this get to be so popular after the years this project has been out? blink.gif

#39 khael

khael

/人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\ being M

• Sempais
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1394 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:32 PM

The site or the game?

Don't know about the site, but the game pretty much kicked ass. Got a well established fandom in Japan [I think in the Comiket/similar events], next thing you know they're recommending it or some gaijin weeaboo comes across it and spreads the word.

Also MADs.
user posted image

I have bad memory.

#40 Kid-Wolf

Kid-Wolf

• MATV Crew
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9167 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:28 PM

Ah I was actually going back and talking about the game there. tongue.gif

In any case so pretty much this started in Comeket and worked it's way out into the other parts of the anime community that way. Well like all things they do have hummble begginings in the first place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users