Anti-Depressants

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

What are your opinions about Anti-depressant drugs?

• It is a drug, therefore using it is wrong.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It is helpful.

• There are pros and cons to this subject.

• Total voters

Azucar

-san
Kouhai
I would like to know how you feel about this topic.

who needs it, shall take it. Those who dont need it probably wont, because anti depressants have strong side effects, so it unless you need it, you probably wouldnt take them voluntarily.....

I'll be honest. I HATE Anti depressants and Anti psychotics. I was on them as a teenager and they did nothing but made me feel even worse than I already was feeling.

I already felt sad, but Prozac made me 100 time more sad. Made me feel like dieing even more. Made my thoughts ever more dark. I embraced death and all things morbid and miserable even more when I was on it.

Risperidone, Prozac, Zyprexa, seroquel, wellbutrin...
I was on all of those (most of them AT THE SAME TIME) and I F***ing hate every single one of them. I also have no respect or remorse for sh** doctors that put kids on drugs while competely ignoring the fact that THERE ARE BETTER SAFER WAYS OF HELPING THEM (Its all so they can make $$$$$. YOU don't matter.)
Each drug had its own onslaught of bizzar and miserable side effects and they each made me feel a 100 or more times worse then I already did (I won't go into detail..do your own research if you wanna know). I still wonder if my brain and body aren't permenantly damaged from those drugs to this day as I can never seem to feel quite normal or function like everybody else, even after I have been completely off of all of them for years.

My advice to all:
Don't completely trust doctors or psychiatrists (After my experience I trust them very little).
Try nature remedies. Study nutrition. Eat healthy. Get exersise. Make friends if you can. Use those drugs as a last resort if you use them at all. Drugs wether legal or illigal are a bad route IMHO.

Be healthy.

*spits on big pharmaceutical companies*

Me and one of my professors use to have this running gag. He would always call me out saying i don't look very interested is it that i don't wanna be here. I would then take out a pill bottle labeled anti-depressants and we would get a chuckle out of that. Well I say a running gag but it was more like 3 times over the course of the semester.

But in real life terms. I am usually for if you really don't need to take a drug don't put it into your body. Only the question arises how do you know if you need something for depression. I tend to lean toward finding alternate measures when someone brings up anti-depressants. Since it is a frame of mind it is possible for you to work on finding ways too not be depressed. Maybe have a book club meeting or maybe start a flower arrangement group. I don't know undepressing thinks like that
wink.gif

if we are talking about pathological depressions, a hobby wont help.

If a person is just feeling blue, because his life isnt as spectacular as he would like it to be, then couple of slaps on the face do the job as well.

Hmm so your saying to literally slap the depression out of them...a technique I might say was applied often in the stone age
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif
...Though i guess it could be used as a possible *shock therapy* I know that if i was walking around angsting and all depressed and then someone slapped my face just out of the blue. It would certainly change my emotion from depressed
sad.gif
to shocked
blink.gif
to possibly violent
mad.gif
in a hurry alleviating though my depression
rolleyes.gif
. So I guess in the end it all comes out smelling like roses. See and I didn't even know how genious that suggestion was until I sat back and analyzed gave it some serious thought.

QUOTE My advice to all:
Don't completely trust doctors or psychiatrists (After my experience I trust them very little).
Try nature remedies. Study nutrition. Eat healthy. Get exersise. Make friends if you can. Use those drugs as a last resort if you use them at all. Drugs wether legal or illigal are a bad route IMHO.

Well from my experience, I was on Zoloft for four years and honestly, It helped out a whole lot. My psychiatrist was also very helpful, if it wasn't for that psychiatrists' help at all, I wouldn't have graduated high school, seriously. But my psychiatrists never abandoned nor referred me to another one when the going got really tough.

QUOTE (NTT P702iF @ Feb 25 2007, 09:02 PM) I already felt sad, but Prozac made me 100 time more sad. Made me feel like dieing even more. Made my thoughts ever more dark. I embraced death and all things morbid and miserable even more when I was on it.
I heard the other day that anti-depressants can cause suicide in certain people (especially children). Apparently they have warnings on the labels?

I've been on and off anti-depressants since I was 16, still on them now at 22. I've tried paxil (worked the best, just gained a lot of weight), celexa (no effect whatsoever) and I'm currently on effexor (minimal effects, enough to keep me functioning).

I've tried to stop taking them, but in the course of doing so I get into deep depression that lasts for months, so the doctors suggest that I start taking them again... I would like to stop taking them someday, because the side-effects are hard to deal with. Ironically I am studying to become a psychologist, partly because I want to help myself and other cases like me. Taking these things are ok for now, but I really don't want to be dependent on them for life, the thought alone scares me. I've been reading a lot of books on how to 'conquer' depression/anxiety, and it has a lot to do with changing your way of thinking. It's not as easy as it sounds, and I think it takes years of therapy and self-talk to do it, which is why it's so much easier to rely on pills because it's a quick fix (in most cases). This is a really interesting topic for me, so I will probably write more as the ideas come to me
biggrin.gif

NTT P702iF: I'm really sorry about what you went through with anti-depressants, I know how rough it can be.... and I agree with you, about trying to live a healthy lifestyle, I think that also helps with depression.

chiisai_hana: generally the doctors warn you about anti-depressants that can cause suicidal thoughts, and more likely they won't even prescribe it unless they think it would have an opposite effect on a patient.

Depression can also be hereditary.

I have a family history of Depression in my bloodline and a few relatives of mine had suicide. The rest of them got help from medications and psychiatrists. Its scary and to know that about my family history. But just like Julezia-chan, I do not want to be dependent upon medications also. I hope that someday I can completely stop taking medications without relapsing again.

QUOTE (Azucar @ Feb 26 2007, 03:24 PM)
Well from my experience, I was on Zoloft for four years and honestly, It helped out a whole lot. My psychiatrist was also very helpful, if it wasn't for that psychiatrists' help at all, I wouldn't have graduated high school, seriously. But my psychiatrists never abandoned nor referred me to another one when the going got really tough.
I know they help some people...and not all psychiatrists are bad....I am just very disgruntled from my own experiences....

that fact is, it was one of my psychiatrists who told me I could get off meds if I really wanted to (knowing me I would have beleived that all on my own but hearing her say that was helpfull indeed). my first psych was the one that gave me every drug she could think of....*insert long string of insults and swear words*
anyhow...I still stand by what I said...some may be helped but many are endangered by these meds..and the companys are making big money off them....

-------------------------

QUOTE (julezia @ Feb 26 2007, 04:49 PM)NTT P702iF: I'm really sorry about what you went through with anti-depressants, I know how rough it can be.... and I agree with you, about trying to live a healthy lifestyle, I think that also helps with depression.

when I wanted to get off meds, becoming a strict vegetarian (mostly
tongue.gif
) helped me alot....I also got really into nutrition and how foods and vitamins and such effect the body............my diet change helped me sooo much! exersize is great too...
making friends helped tramendously too...

I've been off them meds for years now and I can't say I havent relapsed into being depressed...I'd be a lier If I told everybody I didn't ever feel sad....or feel like ending it all.....but I kept hanging in there.....I refuse to get too personal over then net, but these last few years have been dark and lonly for me.....
luckly, I just recently fell in love so I am feelin alright
wink.gif

yeah...human contact though...thats my main point....even if its not your sweatheart or soulmate, just find friends somehow........get human contact...its not easy but its helpfull................yeah.....depression is a B*** (because the world and life itself is too) I have struggled with it so much...I hate meds with a passion and i refuse to take them ever again but the fact is, many times its still not been easy to cope with at all....

anyway....stay safe and healthy people.....laugh....watch more anime...keep on livin'
biggrin.gif

what else can i tell ya?

[Moderator's Note: Please do not double post. Use the edit feature. If you want to take quote from different people use copy paste or quote feature when posting.]

EDIT: yes I know full well...I made a mistake...not only that, but the forum messed up and was not allowing me to edit or delete my posts for a while (plus it posted my last post twice.)...anywho that was fast!! thanks for correcting..

i read on the net somewhere that anti-depressants cause suicide because they alleviate the lethargy before the depression so you have the energy to act on suicide impulses

Chronic majior depression runs in my family. I was first given prozac at the age of seven and I was on it till fifteen. I can not say that anti-depressents are a bad thing for they help many people in my family. However my experiance was horrible. I had many of the side effects people tell stories about, i became lathargic, lazy, anti-social , i just lost interest in life, I tryed to kill myself afew times.

It all came to a head when i turned 14. I dont know if it was the onset of puberty or the third increace in my prozac perscription but i reached a turning point. I flipped out and after a suicide atempt i was place in a mental health facility. My parents got me out on the 3rd day witch was the shortest time the californian judical system would alow. I still had to go too group theripy for some time afterwards and my phyc. switched me from prozac to paxil. It was no better and soon i started pulling out my hair, i didnt know why but i felt the complusion to do so, just kind of amazed at why it didnt hurt. My parents made me stop taking it as soon as they found out.

It was almost four weeks before i could get back in to see my phyc. He then switched me back to prozac but at a higher douse. I took it for 3 weeks. Then as the same old feelings set in i though it seemed like the four weeks that i didnt take meds where better than the ones that i did. So the fight started, i told my parents i didnt need the meds. They didn't belive me, nether did my phyc. They tryed to force me. I would do anything i could, i threw them away, i lied about taking them, i would open pills and pour the power down the sink then close the empty pill and hide it in the medicine cabnit then if my mom wanted to watch me take it i would take the empty shells. It went on like this for some time. My parents fought back they learned my tricks they would force me back on for a week or two, but i didnt give up.

The last pill i took was at 15, shortly after i told them Id never take another and they gave up. I am now 22, i live a normal life i get happy and sad but i never want to kill myself. My veiw is this, some people need them so people dont, but if you give them to a child you can very well be jumping the gun, a child can seem sad and grow out of it. Also the meds can confuse and cause problems in a childs development. Now days in is Extremely uncommon for a child as young as 7 to be given an anti-depessant but when it happened to me prozac was new and everyone thought it was a wonder drug. I was given it without any other consideration anyone who said they where sad to their doctor was. I hope times have changed.

QUOTE (chiisai_hana @ Feb 26 2007, 04:07 PM) I heard the other day that anti-depressants can cause suicide in certain people (especially children). Apparently they have warnings on the labels?
I have also heard about cases like that on the news. Its called "Black Box Warning". Here's where I got the information... Facts about Anti-Depressants

It says that it mostly happens to children.

~ Take it from personal experiance that Seroxat is a huge no no, don't ever touch it, I had never thought of suicide before taking it, being on the drug was the worst six weeks of my life.

QUOTE (Sammeh-Chan @ Mar 09 2007, 07:29 AM) ~ Take it from personal experiance that Seroxat is a huge no no, don't ever touch it, I had never thought of suicide before taking it, being on the drug was the worst six weeks of my life.
Its really a good thing that you don't take it anymore.

I looked up the side-effects of Paroxetine from wikipedia:

General side effects are mostly present during the first 1-4 weeks while the body adapts to the drug. Almost all SSRIs are known to cause either one or more of these symptoms. A person receiving paroxetine treatment may experience a few, all, or none of the following side-effects, and most side-effects will disappear or lessen with continued treatment, though some may last throughout the duration.

* Apathy
    * Pupil dilation
    * Nausea
    * Teratogenicity: Pregnant women are advised not to take the drug due to possible fetal heart defects.[12]
    * Drowsiness
    * Headache
    * Changes in weight and appetite
    * Changes in sexual behaviour
    * Increased feelings of depression and anxiety (initially)
    * Dry mouth
    * Aggressive behavior (esp. in children)
    * Possible congenital malformations
    * Rash
    * Restlessness or Akathisia
    * Itch
    * Sodium depletion
    * Sweating
    * Suicide
    * Muscle weakness
    * Muscle ache
    * Uncharacteristic levels of aggression
    * Serotonin syndrome

Whoa that's some crazy wat! So many side-effects.
ohmy.gif

don't swear

Theres huge thing on the TV the other week baout how there suing the makers of Seroxat GlaxoSmith Kline because they knew the drug should never have ben prescribed for people under 18 but they twisted clinical trials to favor them and stuff, theres been more suicides on the drug than any other as well. Personaly I think the drug shoudl be banned all together, its not nice for the people around. I'm not a very moody person but while I was on it it went beyond moods. I was agressive I would yell at people, my mum wouldn't stay in a room with me because I was so agressive to her and I couldn't understand why. NOt to mention I self harmed worse on the drug than off it. I lost a stone and a half while I was on the drug and in the process screwed up my body. CAn you tell I am angry about it xD I hope GSK get there arses sued off.

QUOTE (Sammeh-Chan @ Mar 09 2007, 08:41 AM) Theres huge thing on the TV the other week baout how there suing the makers of Seroxat GlaxoSmith Kline because they knew the drug should never have ben prescribed for people under 18 but they twisted clinical trials to favor them and stuff, theres been more suicides on the drug than any other as well. Personaly I think the drug shoudl be banned all together, its not nice for the people around. I'm not a very moody person but while I was on it it went beyond moods. I was agressive I would yell at people, my mum wouldn't stay in a room with me because I was so agressive to her and I couldn't understand why. NOt to mention I self harmed worse on the drug than off it. I lost a stone and a half while I was on the drug and in the process screwed up my body. CAn you tell I am angry about it xD I hope GSK get there arses sued off.
Damn well I hope they get sued too because they shouldn't prescribe that strong type of drug with such a very strong side-effects especially for people that are under 18.

Its not even that, they lied about it, they knew it was harmful but they got greedy and wanted the money so they covered it up. Basicaly they killed people in my eyes.

will what can i say
huh.gif

a week ago i came home and i was very angry about many things
i was sick so i was taking medcienc in a moment i got out of my mind and take overdoes

after that thy took me to saikological doctor and he made me to take this anti-depressant (LUSTRAL)

until know i have take tow pills but i did not feel any thing
tongue.gif

so after i read this topic there is no way that i am taking it any more
mad.gif

it has so many side_effects + its costs you a lot of mony
mad.gif

thanks every one for sharing your stories
biggrin.gif

i have learnd a lot
smile.gif

more impotantly i wont take them any more
smile.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back