Billy Bat

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Anybody

-sama
Sempai
billya.jpg

Author: Urasawa Naoki(20th Century Boys, Pluto)
Genre: Mystery, Drama, Thriller, Psychological, Mind-Games, Seinen

Story:

1949. Half-Japanese, Half-American comic book writer, Kevin Yamagata, in USA spends days trying to think up an ending to his comic book , "Billy Bat", featuring an anthropomorphic bat detective involved in a complicate case of murder, betrayal and conspiracies. Kevin is not satisfied with the ending and redraws it again and again.

However, a misunderstanding, between the police, paranoid landlord and memories of war all combine together into a strange revelation for Kevin - he may have plagiarized the character he is using and idea from a japanese mangaka.

Having taught by his father to never steal other person's belongings, Kevin hurries of to the post-hiroshima Japan, where he soon finds himself getting drowned by strange coincidences, horrific dreams and conspiracies.

Soon he finds himself in situation not unlike the character of his comic book did. Unable to escape from strange things around him all Kevin can do is dig deeper towards the origin of his character and its ties to the dark secrets of the world history.... And the more he learns, the more surreal and obscure the secret of "Billy Bat" becomes...

Which did you see? Black or White one?
"but which one is which?

--------------------
Any thoughts? Started this a few days ago. The start was...strange, but in a sense as plot unravelled I felt as if I am reading a manga version of something like twin peaks or a more mindfuck-y Pluto. Certainly something worth reading for those who want to take a break from usual commercial stuff.

Im reading it, its really interesting how its done, its one of those mangas you have to keep reading so that you can feel a sense of completion because the deeper you get into its story the more complex and intruiging it gets.

Im glad i picked it up since it makes a change from all the josei romance stuff ive been reading as of late. I recommend this to most people. If you liek a interesting story which makes you think then read this.

What did you think of it?

I personally think this might be the most unique manga by this mangaka.

With 20th Century Boys or Pluto you could still have the general idea of the setting and when its happening(although certain twist in pluto was pretty...unexpected).

With this the story can literally go anywhere in the history, any person in history and everything in the end, knowing Urasawa, will be tied together.

I like the symbolism used and how its used. The contrast between the "bat' and the "real" characters, the overall portrayal and the use of symbolism.

It is very unique, IMO ANDthe pacing, the storytelling, etc, might turn off many people, bu tpersonally I like it. Urasawa always messed with the readers in his manga, but this takes it and the ideas, themes, Urasawa portrays to a new level.

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back