Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (2016) & Unato Kessen (2019)

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Ryu

~ Dark Pun Master ~
Staff member
Leader Council

Title: Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
Japanese: 甲鉄城のカバネリ
Airing date: 7/4/2016 (TV series)
Genres: Action, Fantasy, Steampunk, Drama, Supernatural
Script by: Hiroshi Seko
Original character designer: Haruhiko Mikimoto
Director: Tetsurō Araki and Hiroyuki Tanaka (assistant)
Written by: Ichirō Ōkouchi
Music by: Hiroyuki Sawano
Animation character designer: Yasuyuki Ebara
Chief animation directors: Hirotaka Marufuji, Kyoji Asano and Yasuyuki Ebara
Action animation directors: Tatsurō Kawano and Yuuko Sera
Director of photography: Kazuhiro Yamada
Sound director: Masafumi Mima
3D director: Shuhei Yabuta
Art director: Shunichiro Yoshihara
Art design by: Kaoru Aoki and Yoshihiro Sono
Color design by: Ken Hashimoto
Prop design by: Shinobu Tsuneki
Design cooperation by: Shingo Tamagawa
Overall setting: Junpei Kasaoka
Main animator: Kyouhei Tezuka
Sound effects by: Shizuo Kurahashi
World adjustment by: Kiyomune Miwa
Editing by: Aya Hida
Studio: Wit Studio
Network: Fuji TV (Noitamina), Amazon Prime
Opening theme: "KABENERI OF THE IRON FORTRESS" by EGOIST
Ending theme: "ninelie" by Aimer × chelly

Main cast: Ikoma (生駒) voiced by Tasuku Hatanaka
Mumei (無名) voiced by Sayaka Senbongi
Supporting cast: Ayame (菖蒲) voiced by Maaya Uchida
Kurusu (来栖) voiced by Toshiki Masuda

Takumi (逞生) voiced by Yūki Kaji
Kajika (鰍) voiced by Kanae Oki
Yukina (侑那) voiced by Mariya Ise
Sukari (巣刈) voiced by Ryōta Ōsaka
Kibito (吉備土) voiced by Kensuke Satō

Biba (美馬) voiced by Mamoru Miyano
Pv HP

Synopsis:
As the world is in the middle of an industrial revolution, a monster appears that cannot be defeated unless its heart, which is protected by a layer of iron, is pierced. By infecting humans with its bite, the monster can create aggressive and undead creatures known as Kabane. On the island Hinomoto, located in the far east, people have built stations to shelter themselves from these creatures. People access the station, as well as transport wares between them, with the help of a locomotive running on steam, called Hayajiro. Ikoma, a boy who lives in the Aragane station and helps to build Hayajiro, creates his own weapon called Tsuranukizutsu in order to defeat the creatures. One day, as he waits for an opportunity to use his weapon, he meets a girl named Mumei, who is excused from the mandatory Kabane inspection. During the night, Ikuma meets Mumei again as he sees Hayajiro going out of control. The staff on the locomotive has turned into the creatures. The station, now under attack by Kabane, is the opportunity Ikoma has been looking for.

QUOTE (Norren @ Feb 02 2016, 03:29 AM)Seisen Cerberus - I'm in the mood for fantasies, and while I really don't expect this one to be good... (It's an adaptation of a Cellphone game, FFS.) it should at l east be amusing.while Sōsei no Onmyōji has Kegares instead, i prefer KnK's art and animation
biggrin.gif

Will see where this goes. People are comparing it to AoT which to me is a turn off.

First ep was okay. I guess it is a prologue, because it didnt really inform me as to where it was going.

QUOTE (franzoir @ Apr 08 2016, 02:57 AM)First ep was okay. I guess it is a prologue, because it didnt really inform me as to where it was going.Tired of waiting for the official english ep.2 subs (earthquake delay), I just tried an ok-ish chinese release translation... good so far revealing why Mumei wasn't inspected, a mighty half-zombie/Kabaneri ;p i hope next gets subbed sooner
sleep.gif

QUOTE (franzoir @ Apr 08 2016, 01:57 AM) Will see where this goes. People are comparing it to AoT which to me is a turn off.

First ep was okay. I guess it is a prologue, because it didnt really inform me as to where it was going.
We're two episodes in now and it's still hard to tell where the story is going.

What I've seen so far doesn't really make me think AoT except at the most abstract. The world is more like a straightforward Zombie flick with huge steampunk overtones and a few people who seem to have beaten the Zombie plague and gotten super strength from doing so as it's main plot device... if the intro is any indication, most of the action is just them on a giant railroad, running for dear life, the AoT style walled fortress didn't last the first episode before being blown to hell by a zombie infested train.

It seems fun, and the character designs make me think Sakura Taisen for some reason. (I've never even played those games...)

Just watched the first 2 eps of Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress... pretty good setup so far, looks promising action anime, nice production look and feel from characters to editing... if you overlook the 'monsters' aka zombies.
cool.gif

I like the way they ended that 2nd ep, how they did the girl character's reveal... nice setup for the next ep... again, looks promising given the material has been done quite often before, but this one seems to be doing it well. I prefer to watch 2 eps at a time instead of one, wait a week, 1 more... etc... at least you can get into the storyline better... at least to begin the series anyway, though I'd prefer they release a whole season at a time.
wink.gif
Sort of like Rakugo, the first ep was the 1 hour long OVA, which worked well to introduce the story/characters.

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Apr 21 2016, 09:08 PM)the way they ended that 2nd ep, how they did the girl character's reveal... nice setup for the next ep... again, looks promising given the material has been done quite often before, but this one seems to be doing it well. I prefer to watch 2 eps at a time instead of one, wait a week, 1 more... etc... at least you can get into the storyline better... at least to begin the series anyway, though I'd prefer they release a whole season at a time.
wink.gif
Sort of like Rakugo, the first ep was the 1 hour long OVA, which worked well to introduce the story/characters.
QUOTE (Norren @ Apr 19 2016, 06:29 PM)It seems fun, and the character designs make me think Sakura Taisen for some reason. (I've never even played those games.if Sakura's outfit inspired Ayame and this game's steampunk theme, but I think character designs look retro like USY... still yes i prefer a 2-ep premiere instead too given their delay, the only spring anime that began like that is Re:Zero
happy.gif

Seems ep 3 is postponed a week due to the EQs... is that the case with other projects? Or maybe it's the site I use that is affected?

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Apr 22 2016, 06:50 PM)ep 3 is postponed a week due to the EQs... is that the case with other projects? Or maybe it's the site I usefrom what i saw 2 other anime aired on Thursday too, Ansatsu Kyoushitsu Final season and Sakamoto desu ga?... well today wasn't delayed :0 ep'3 didn't have as much action, but still goes strong showing Ikoma's past (Damn cliffhanger)
tongue.gif

Yeah, it is mostly a character fill in episode, can't remember the word for that.
unsure.gif

But, it still has a good look, character setups, editing etc... nice feel to it.
I'm liking the way they have setup Mumei's character, who has definitely become the other main character, giving Ikoma's character depth by example and knowledge of what's going on etc... leaving him a little less lost in the situation... .seeming to test him along the way. She's already using a similar 'gun' that he's invented on his own, so she recognizes what's he's doing as he does it... perhaps help him update his 'gun' some.

I like the pacing of this one, even during these mostly background info eps... can't remember the word for that...
dry.gif
I like the simple fact that they seem to be losing this 'war' with the zombie people and mostly due to ignorance with what they are dealing with, seeing how they seek to kill first and ask questions later approach to them... which is realistic, though scientists would want to study live specimens I would think, perhaps back at that main 'station'... we should soon see. I like the transformation the main male character seems to be displaying after getting bitten and surviving, same as the main female character seems to have done, though she seems to have been part of a family of fighters/samurai or something... so trained in combat to begin with.

It's interesting so far, though perhaps because I don't usually watch these types of storylines?

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Apr 30 2016, 06:58 PM)these mostly background info eps... can't remember the word for that...
dry.gif
I like the simple fact that they seem to be losing this 'war' with the zombie people and mostly due to ignorance with what they are dealing with, seeing how they seek to kill first and ask questions later approach to them... which is realistic, though scientists would want to study live specimens I would think, perhaps back at that main 'station'... we should soon see. I like the transformation the main male character seems to be displaying after getting bitten and surviving, same as the main female character seems to have done, though she seems to have been part of a family of fighters/samurai or something... so trained in combat to begin with.Is it character development? ;p so yes as seen in ep.4, Ikoma must get used to hold his subconscious urge for blood... like MuMei did casually asking a bit from survivors, again both are distrusted but they're allies now killing Wazatori too
cool.gif

Exposition... I remember it now.
biggrin.gif

I don't usually watch much of this type of anime.... so perhaps it seems fresher to me, but the character development and plotting seem well written and directed... like the train as a vehicle for the people on it, everyone seems to reveal bits about themselves as it goes along in dramatic fashion.... which seems nicely set up and progressed to me... not the usual zombie stuff... well, not completely.
blink.gif
as most of us are essentially 'zombies' or 'sheep' as the bible names the herd, until we 'wake up'. Unlike others, and maybe because of the set up and train, this anime seems to have a 'head of steam'
rolleyes.gif
... couldn't help it? word association.
tongue.gif
...but it does seem to be going somewhere... one village to the next and what seems to be left is the main capital city... so far, the real set up with this problem of alien creating zombies seems to be left off the exposition list... so far, hopefully the at least attempt to give us some halfway reasonable excuse for their situation.

So far, so good IMO at least... one of the few I'm watching... when the subs come out... which is why I prefer waiting for the end of the season I guess... or movie versions.... which explains why season downloads are so popular, every is tired of the old delivery system and the industry hasn't adjusted yet... for the most part.... but I can see why.... the cost factor as usual... which is why tv is cheaper.. it can be cancelled easier, whereas a film is whole upon first delivery... for better or for worse, so the producers have to spend so much up front, which is why most of the creating team doesn't like to use their own money.
laugh.gif
They are stupid, and obviously don't trust their product enough, perhaps if they did, the storylines would be better and less cliche, commonplace etc.

Oh well, so far I like the use of characters in this one, a few adults mixed in to round out the situation.... all ages in fact... and the lack of more adults is rather obvious.... they become zombies.

QUOTE (gdpetti @ May 25 2016, 06:53 PM)Exposition... I remember ityeah it's shown again in ep'7 more relaxing now that they arrived, finally 1 safe station after a titan fused of Kabanes... with 5 eps left i wonder if the series will end rushed, or trainwrecks (literally too) as worst case unless S2 is confimed?
biggrin.gif

Hmmm...if only 5 eps left, they must be looking at a S2, as I don't see much being finished in just 5 eps. I'm still hoping for something more.... something different, I'm tired of the zombie stuff, so it's good they are bringing in the 'brother' who seems to give us insight into the corrupt shogun/state... not much different than today or ever. Purgatory never changes, only its inhabitants do.
cool.gif

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Jun 05 2016, 08:48 PM)I'm still hoping for something more.... something different, I'm tired of the zombie stuff, so it's good they are bringing in the 'brother' who seems to give us insight into the corrupt shogunthat's what Mumei gets by trusting this hero Biba, just because he saved her as kid like Berserk (Griffith to Casca)... Even worse in ep.9 luring kabane inside an once peaceful station, making chaos on innocent people for his ambition
mad.gif

Yeah, just watched it, not exactly the kind of 'something' I was looking for.
wink.gif
First, the usual weak writing setup: the guards on Bibi/brother at his meeting with the shogun rep? they were standing close enough to be attacked by him, then the girl needing to pee???
wink.gif
the sword cutting the ? to the drawbridge? what was it made of? rope? C'Mon...
dry.gif
Too many 'superswords' and not enough reality in any fantasy will wreck the illusion.

Nice ep overall, but I kept shaking my head through most of that stuff.... the girl should've seen through Bibi/brother's BS long ago... at least after he released the Zombies into the city... at least by the end, he thought well enough to have his guards prepare to seize her... but all along she's attacking people easily and now ?? perhaps too shocked to respond/react? and everyone is put under Bib's gang of guards way too easily, especially our main character... another C'Mon!!!!!! Are these people sleep walking or what? No wonder they keep getting attacked by these zombies!
unsure.gif

Again, nice ep overall ... but it's a headshaker in hopes of it being the usual cheap setup for his later demise... as we, no doubt, will learn of how he was blamed or setup by the shogun earlier as they make brief mention of, but he gives off the aural of a guy not to be trusted soon after we first meet him, so no surprise to the audience, just the girl who looks up to him as 'brother'... seems the same setup with the other young woman he kills near the end, but she expected not to live, so at least she was aware of the situation he was planning, working on with their experiments on the zombies.

The 'nice' young lady(whatever her name is) personal guard hesitates in attacking the 'scientist' guy when he turns his back... after she seizes that case? another C'Mon.... head shaker... too many such moments in one episode within the last half of the episode? What are they doing, teaching kids to wait to be killed by the bad guys? Remain sheep and keep hope alive, even as it's killing you???

I like look and feel of the series, but if this continues next ep, I'll just go away, and perhaps that's the case with most? It's like the story isn't 'ready for primetime'. Lots of similar ideas that just aren't executed well. So far, this has been pretty good I thought... most of them are rather young and apparently 'dumb' in terms of experience... especially as most people get attacked/bitten and don't last long.. so ignorance and lack of experience etc can be the excuse, but only for so long, and then the characters seem stupid.
blink.gif
I hope this doesn't continue.

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Jun 10 2016, 04:51 PM)I like look and feel of the series, but if this continues next ep, I'll just go away, and perhaps that's the case with most? It's like the story isn't 'ready for primetime'. Lots of similar ideas that just aren't executed well. So far, this has been pretty good I thought... most of them are rather young and apparently 'dumb' in terms of experience... especially as most people get attacked/bitten and don't last long.. so ignorance and lack of experience etc can be the excuse, but only for so long, and then the characters seem stupid.
blink.gif
I hope this doesn't continue.actually ep.10 shows they aren't that idiotic so I liked it more, was funny to see Ikoma caged as their revolt leader... but Takumi saved the day twice And stood out sacrificing himself, yet by its cliffhanger i doubt it'll end Properly in 2 eps
sleep.gif

Yeah, a better episode, with a little background on Bibi's hatred of his father apparently.... but agreed, this is setting up for a 2nd season, implying they knew that going in most likely from the slow way the plot has been unraveling.

Only real grip was that I would've thought to unhitch the train before trying to take over the engine room.. and no one plays the 'lookout' role? Yes, his friend saves him and gives our MC another reason to live on to fight the enemy within, same as Bibi apparently, as well those zombie types, but did they really think it would be so easy? Momei finally seems to 'wake up' about Bibi, just in time to be put in a different sleep, which seems a little too easily done, but
rolleyes.gif

Maybe it's a recent thing, but episodic tv series once a week, just don't cut it anymore.... I'd prefer to watch the whole season like a film... gets too easy to loose interest and by the time you start getting into it again, it's over.... I find myself looking at the time to see if there's enough for anything to develop before the episode is over... and seeing that there isn't, it's obvious not much is going to happen... but at least that was near the end this time.

Knowing that it's going to continue another season doesn't help, as this Bibi guy seems to be one they want to carry over to another season to kill off... all of which makes it easy to loose interest.
biggrin.gif
Might as well wait till next season, right? Hopefully, 'next season' is the next week and not next year.
dry.gif

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Jun 18 2016, 03:46 PM)Yeah, a better episode, with a little background on Bibi's hatred of his father apparently.... but agreed, this is setting up for a 2nd season, implying they knew that going in most likely from the slow way the plot has been unraveling.

Only real grip was that I would've thought to unhitch the train before trying to take over the engine room.. and no one plays the 'lookout' role? Yes, his friend saves him and gives our MC another reason to live on to fight the enemy within, same as Bibi apparently, as well those zombie types, but did they really think it would be so easy? Momei finally seems to 'wake up' about Bibi, just in time to be put in a different sleep, which seems a little too easily doneyet by flashbacks in ep'11 biba seems still human deeply inside, despite turning his dad into kabane As sweet revenge... even with fear ikoma will try to kill him and save Mumei, if next ends definitely we'll not gotta wait for S2 After all
huh.gif

Well.... I'd say that our MC could save the girl and kill the bad human Bibi, but the zombie herds are still there and require a different approach as if any viral epidemic... if not man-made as we witness today, such as the Zika operation.
ph34r.gif

That said, it depends upon how the creators of this series want to tell their story... seeing how it isn't based on a previous work... if the series is popular, it does seem that it is being setup for a 2nd season.... at times, it seems 'milked'... which is why I prefer films.
rolleyes.gif

The whole thing with Bibi makes everyone else look stupid... they know they can' trust him, yet they allow him in etc etc... that could've and should've been written better... some other accomplice or something... and not just him standing up and doing what he wants.... I mean C'MON! I'm actually glad it's over... well almost over... these types of scenes are painful to watch... where are the writers?!
dry.gif
Scenes like this really make you appreciate good writing/directing when you find it.. such as nearly anything by Junichi Sato, in recent years anyway, like his Tamayura series that finished its movies recently.[well, Aria and Tamayura anyway, haven't seen his other stuff, but given the quality of his direction from those two, I soon well] Without quality control, which starts with the storyline and its writing or transference to the screen, it all just turns into filler material... genre filler usually. This one has its moments, but overall, the storyline is falling into too many cliches... anime season filler.
dry.gif

QUOTE (gdpetti @ Jun 24 2016, 01:38 PM)I'd say that our MC could save the girl and kill the bad human Bibi, but the zombie herds are still there and require a different approach as if any viral epidemic... if not man-made as we witness today, such as the Zika operation.
ph34r.gif

That said, it depends upon how the creators of this series want to tell their story... seeing how it isn't based on a previous work... if the series is popular, it does seem that it is being setup for a 2nd season.... at timesdespite for me isn't AOTS now that it's over I say, Still better than most series i saw this Spring line-up finished until today... Of course if we talk about story or character exposition, i think Ajin wins ;/ it'll get s2 btw did you watch its OVA?
smile.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back