Forum Images

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

dchaosblade

- Lord of Chaos
Retired
Is it just me, or are ALL the images in the forums broken? All the 'new post', 'hot topic', etc symbols are broken, as are the header images and all the images for links in "Help" "Search" "Members" and "General Rules" at the top of the page.
It's been like this since at least yesterday for me. Is anyone else having this problem? (I have reset my computer after noticing the problem)

The ONLY images that work (within the forums) are avatars and signatures. Main page looks just fine though, only the forums.

its not just you. This has actually happened to me multiple times over the past several months. Sometimes the front-end of the site will look all busted up as well.

Points at Mai server... as it is reporting problem although i dont see all the broken thing as u but some u mention. .... when was the last time i posted something... lolz

If it isn't one server having problems it's the other. also, on rare occasions it ends up being both at times. In any case I'm sure things will work fine in the next few days or so if daft-sama already knows about this issue now.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Feb 20 2011, 01:39 AM) If it isn't one server having problems it's the other. also, on rare occasions it ends up being both at times. In any case I'm sure things will work fine in the next few days or so if daft-sama already knows about this issue now.
This time it might take more than a couple days to fix Mai, I can't even get into it at the moment and several things have broken quite badly, we're going to try a reboot, then hopefully I should be able to get in and fix it, but its looking more like a bigger problem at the moment. Daft was on a plane last I heard. And yes this box has become rather unreliable of late, already lost 2 hard drives in it.

EDIT
Ok I now know why the forum is affected, the forum graphics are being loaded from images.fansub... which is actually part of Mai. Good news is that those images are also present on the main boards.fansub.... so the forum just needs its setting changed for a tempory fix to not use Mai... but Mai will obviously still need fixing.

Ok so were working with a patch work for the forums until the Mai server is back up? Well I see nothing wrong with that, but hopefully the server won't lose anthing valuable to anyone, if that makes any sense at all.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Feb 20 2011, 12:56 AM) Ok so were working with a patch work for the forums until the Mai server is back up? Well I see nothing wrong with that, but hopefully the server won't lose anthing valuable to anyone, if that makes any sense at all.
I say just let it all crash and sue the ppl who was handling it haha

Edit

Now that i said that I notice Nova reporting problem now lol

Ok so we have Mai back up and running following a reboot, but I suspect its not going to last long. The logs are full of kernel crash messages for the Sata driver on sda, which is the first hard disk (where the OS is runing on and where the FTV stuff is) the second drive appears to be fine at the moment, but thats full of my stuff for matv so dosnt help FTV much. It looks like we're going to loose the first disk, if thats the case it will be the 3rd lost drive in this box. Alot of the data onboth drives isnt backup up, so I'm going to be trying to back up stuff where I can, but finding almost a TB of storage to dump it on is not going to be easy without a new server.

So I'm guessing one of the servers are down again? I'm only asking this since some avatars, including my own aren't showing up.... again.

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Feb 28 2011, 09:14 PM) So I'm guessing one of the servers are down again? I'm only asking this since some avatars, including my own aren't showing up.... again.
its not Mai this time...not that it helps much :/
stats page says Nova is having issues but it was saying that before and the avatars were still working.

edit:
For anyone interested in the last issue with Mai, the sata cable was replaced, and it seems to be ok for the moment.

Well I guess since my avatar is uploaded onto this site so I was guessing that the one of the servers is acting up... again.

Ok it seems most of the forum buttons aren't showing up at all now. So did one of the servers die again? And I think I got a 503 time out when I posted this as well.

Theres an intermitant problem with Mai, basically it has an issue where it will sometimes crash due a problem with one of the drives. We had thought it was resolved after the sata cables were changed, however it happened again. One of Mai's duties is to provide the images for the screens and icons / buttons etc. Thats why the forum looks odd when its not working.

I kind of find it wierd sometimes when I mention the problems like what happened a few days ago they either get fixed with whatever daft does with the cables/servers by himself, or the problem fixes itself making it look like it didn't happen.

Although I'm kind of wondering if we need a new server somewere down the road here.
unsure.gif

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Mar 19 2011, 02:10 PM)I kind of find it wierd sometimes when I mention the problems like what happened a few days ago they either get fixed with whatever daft does with the cables/servers by himself, or the problem fixes itself making it look like it didn't happen.

Although I'm kind of wondering if we need a new server somewere down the road here.
unsure.gif

um no disrespect but they certainly don't fix themselves, I have spent many a night up till 5am working on Mai just so that it keeps going. Granted it does a lot more than FTV's images and downloads but please don't assume because it comes back in what appears to be quick time that it wasnt a heck of a lot of work to do it.
smile.gif

As for who fixes what, its pritty much down to whos around at the time. For FTV specific apps/configs thats daft only, for matv specific things thats me only, but the server as a whole is both of us, and I think we've both spent waay too much time fixing stuff in the last 6 months lol.

The problem is that we can't just get a new server, we have an extra drive in it for which we had to pay for, so a new server often dosnt come with the same drives/space. Also there is all the work after a re-install of the OS to configure it. Then we have to setup the other server side stuff, and thats before we setup website specific stuff.

To give you an idea, we run 7 web server processes all with different configs, theres a admin system for the server as well and then theres copying all the data across, which is around 1TB.

Both me and daft monitor the servers and get all sorts of data like cpu use, trafic in / out total bw use per month etc and both sites have a certain amount of automation if something dies to try to keep the site as vistors see it still working. I think the poller setting means it takes a max of 5 minutes for a fault to show up in Cacti, however it depends if we're looking at it or not. I'm usually logged into my admin area most of the time and that has a status page which I wrote to read from Cacti, so thats how I know fairly quick, either that or my mail stops working. lol

As for why it appears fixed after your comments on here, I'm afraid thats just pure co-incidence or luck, as usually I'm running around panicing about my mail / DBs way before the site actually starts looking broken. And due to the way my mail is setup, I wont actually even know you've posted until after the server is fixed lol.

So would that be considered as a "Server Maintenence 101 Lecture" Maiku-san?

In any case I didn't know how much time, effort, and work go into a server let alone how one is setup by the way. So this is all new to me mind you.
blink.gif

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Mar 22 2011, 03:09 AM)So would that be considered as a "Server Maintenence 101 Lecture" Maiku-san?

In any case I didn't know how much time, effort, and work go into a server let alone how one is setup by the way. So this is all new to me mind you.
blink.gif

Ah sorry Wolfie-san, I didnt mean it to be a lecture
unsure.gif

Was just trying to explain why its not so easy to get a new server, apologies if it came across wrong, I tend to ramble on when it comes to tech stuff sometimes
biggrin.gif

Personally I would like to replace the hardware and maybe get something which is more reliable or has raid, I/we're looking at a couple ideas.

Oh no worries about that I kind of found it rather informative there. I mean I never knew that there was a lot of work and whatnot for maintaining a server you know. So in the end I kind of learned something here.
tongue.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back