Anyone play PS3 on 1080p?

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!

Prideless

-san
Sempai
I hear all most all games on PS3 are rendered at 720p if not lower resolutions then upscaled.

I also heard that 1080p on PS3 looks worse than 720p.

I have yet to touch my ps3 however I have a 1152p monitor and when I put it to 720p in games it looks TERRIBLE. Looks like PS2 graphics.

If the PS3 1080p going too look at terrible? since its games are 720p?

Anyone have personal experience with playing a ps3 at 1080p?

Thanks.

Depending on which system I'm running, I play games in either 720p or 1080p. I honestly can't tell the difference between them once I'm immersed in the game. Readability in certain games which use fixed-point text HUD elements differ based on the resolutions, but other than that... it's all a wash in my book.

If you really want the best quality graphics possible, you'll need to abandon consoles all together and just use a high powered PC.

QUOTE (daft27 @ Apr 03 2010, 10:39 AM) Depending on which system I'm running, I play games in either 720p or 1080p. I honestly can't tell the difference between them once I'm immersed in the game. Readability in certain games which use fixed-point text HUD elements differ based on the resolutions, but other than that... it's all a wash in my book.

If you really want the best quality graphics possible, you'll need to abandon consoles all together and just use a high powered PC.
I have a pretty good pc roughly max out all games at 1152p.

Got a PS3 and would like to experience games that cant be found on pc. without degradation of quality due to a big monitor resolution.

Question what was the monitor native resolution that you played your ps3 on?

I run my ps3 at 720p/1080I, on a 720p tv, and it looks damn good. I've also got a high quality PC, I usually run my games 1600 x 1200 if offered. The ps3 wont upscale your games to 1080, your monitor will try to stretch your image, Try setting the res to 1080I.

I really have no problems with the way my ps3 looks on my tv.

p > I
P = Progressive
I = Interlace

Progresssive is like it show the whole thing
Interlace is every other line

so using anything with i is not really good when upscalling down scalling is kinda ok but p is better overall

Screen size ans screen resolution is where streatching happen since like a 23 in monitor let say does 1080p since it on a lower screen size the picture is much better but being on a bigger screen u will see the diff.

Quality of tv and cable will also depend on your experience of your game play and what the game can produce in like FFXIII can be 1080p.

.... and other stuff i should mention but dont wanna

QUOTE (NeoScott @ Apr 03 2010, 11:44 PM) I run my ps3 at 720p/1080I, on a 720p tv, and it looks damn good. I've also got a high quality PC, I usually run my games 1600 x 1200 if offered. The ps3 wont upscale your games to 1080, your monitor will try to stretch your image, Try setting the res to 1080I.

I really have no problems with the way my ps3 looks on my tv.
Yes 720p looks better than 1080i.

Your running your ps3 at its native resolution as well as the tv being native 720p as well. It should be crisp for you?

My monitor can run 1080p, although its not 1080p native, its slightly higher 1152p. Which makes it worse is ps3 games end up looking bad on native 1080p displays.

I was wondering about 1080p setups since 1080p is in fact more than double the resolution of 720p. If games looks jagged and pixelated?

FXIII is an exception to 1080p as most games are 720p native or lower.

Regarding 1080p on bigger screens being more noticeable? maybe so but chances are ill be sitting on a couch and to far to see the difference opposed to being 2 feet away from a monitor lol? in my circumstance monitors are more noticeable since they are right in my face.

QUOTE (Prideless @ Apr 04 2010, 01:29 PM) My monitor can run 1080p, although its not 1080p native, its slightly higher 1152p. Which makes it worse is ps3 games end up looking bad on native 1080p displays.
That's such an odd resolution number.

QUOTE I was wondering about 1080p setups since 1080p is in fact more than double the resolution of 720p. If games looks jagged and pixelated?
Some games do. Most PS3 games will be fine since the PS3 was built to eventually run games in 1080p format, but if you attempt to run a ps2 game on a backwards compatible PS3, it's going to upscale, look ugly and lag (just try Metal Gear Solid 3 and you'll see what I mean)

QUOTE FXIII is an exception to 1080p as most games are 720p native or lower.
yay for XIII being the ONLY PS3 game right now to be a native 1080p. Of course, I'm not sure about NieR at this point.

So I tried Little Big Planet and Metal Gear Solid at 1080p they seem fine. A little jaggy but no big deal.

Holy hell I tried Infamous and Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction at 1080p it looks like garbage. Felt like I was playing ps2 games but look even worse.

I wanted to get resistance 1/2 but after this have a feeling it might look bad.

I did a quick look up on FFXIII apparently it is 720p and the cutscenes/cg is what is native 1080p.

QUOTE (Prideless @ Apr 06 2010, 01:19 PM) I did a quick look up on FFXIII apparently it is 720p and the cutscenes/cg is what is native 1080p.
I use both 720p native and 1080p native screens. 1080p games will drop to 720p on my 720p screen, and 720p games upscale fine on my 1080p screen.

The PS3 uses an NVIDIA RSX, which is comparable to a GeForce 7900 with like less than half the memory bandwidth. It's really not that fast compared to what's available now, so pretty much any game that does 1080p natively probably cannot afford to have anti-aliasing enabled (hence, the jaggies). It's 4 generations old already! As mentioned earlier, the jump from rendering stuff from 720p to 1080p is a factor of 2 increase in screen space, so you can pretty much expect the visual quality of any game that's rendering anything significant to degrade a bit at 1080p. So yes, if a game is designed to render graphics at 1080p, it can look worse than 720p games and it's not because of your TV.

I run my ps3 at 720p/1080I, on a 720p tv, and it looks damn good. I've also got a high quality PC, I usually run my games 1600 x 1200 if offered. The ps3 wont upscale your games to 1080, your monitor will try to stretch your image, Try setting the res to 1080I.

I play my PS3 through my 1080p TV. But I think it looks amazing! Though I do not have such high standards and expectations. For me it is far greater than what I'd expect of this generations console games.
smile.gif
Though I only play Skyrim and Dragon Age nowadays. ^^,

I use a PS3 and an Xbox both at 720P and 1080P to a monitor with a native resolution of 1080P. The image is crisp and fine with either resolution, however most games are actually only 720P. I tend to keep my consoles on 720p simply because its easier to capture them on my Blackmagic Intensity, which dosnt do 1080P only 1080i.

I suspect the real problem your having is not the console at all but your monitor, most normal PC monitors are quite crap outside of their native resolution, especially 1080p to 1152p. Maybe try a different monitor or a TV, although TVs are crap compared to a monitor.

@Silendris - Love your avatar
smile.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back