To Aru Majutsu no Index III

Ad: Buy Girls Und Panzer Merch from Play Asia!
I agree, Gustav1976. Many people will remember S2 as a bridge between the light from S1 and the darkness that will really begin in S3 and lead to WW3 once we hit S4 or a series of films. Either way Index fans win.
biggrin.gif

Something else we can look forward to: about 4 days ago the new major arc of the story had its first LN released called New Testament. Please note: novel readers should know that the new book series restarts LN volume numbers at number 1.

I have to say I'm amazed at how often Touma manages to make the villains he comes across seem more human-like. He really tries to understand what motivates people to do bad things. Vento doesn't seem so evil anymore, now that you know her back-story. Unfortunately, since she's been taken back to the church, she might go back to her old ways.... if she wasn't so stubborn, I think she would have been swayed by Touma's words. I have the feeling we'll see her again.

Now Kihara is a total jerk, and I don't feel sorry at all that he's been blasted into space by Accelerator
biggrin.gif
What was with those black wings though? And what doesn't mean that Last Order is a container for an angel... I was confused during those parts, and hopefully it'll be cleared up soon.

To be honest, after episode 22, the arc was good, but not developed enough. Hyouka really just appeared out of nowhere and things happened with a lack of explanation. Based on the preview, it seems the arc is over and we're in for a 2 episode epilogue of the second season. Whether there will be a third remains a mystery, but I'm sorely disappointed if they're going to spend 2 episodes on an epilogue as this arc could definitely be developed further, especially since they completely skipped over as to what happened with Tsuchimikado in the recent episode about the skewering pillars.

On another note, Accelerator supposedly getting new powers is definitely a nice touch since he's such an awesome character.

Accelerator becomes a "demon"? Well if there are angels... why not... demons?

Also, that ahegao on Hyouka... This arc should've been at least an episode or two longer.

@Kit

Wow, didn't know you were a fan of Accelerator. I really like his V.A. right now, and those high pitched evil squeals he makes.

Anyhow, the only thing I hate about this show is the villains. The reasoning behind Vento's character is IMHO stupid.

I agree that Vento's reasons for hating science is stupid. She could have just as easily blamed God instead of science. Why did God let this happen to us? etc. So it's not really a strong case against science.

QUOTE (Kit-Tsukasa @ Mar 15 2011, 03:24 AM)To be honest, after episode 22, the arc was good, but not developed enough. Hyouka really just appeared out of nowhere and things happened with a lack of explanation. Based on the preview, it seems the arc is over and we're in for a 2 episode epilogue of the second season. Whether there will be a third remains a mystery, but I'm sorely disappointed if they're going to spend 2 episodes on an epilogue as this arc could definitely be developed further, especially since they completely skipped over as to what happened with Tsuchimikado in the recent episode about the skewering pillars.

Yeah that is really sucky. There is a lot that they have yet to explain, and I doubt they will now since it'll be 2 episodes on an epilogue. I totally forgot about Tsuchimikado as well, like the animators did
tongue.gif
but you're right, they never went back to that. Hyouka an even bigger mystery, who seems to be the ace up Aleisters sleeve. I also really want to know what was going on there, but I think we might have to wait for a 3rd season for an explanation. Going by what destroyah said earlier, there seems to be more than enough material for a 3rd season, so here's hoping...

QUOTE (julezia @ Mar 15 2011, 04:44 AM) Yeah that is really sucky. There is a lot that they have yet to explain, and I doubt they will now since it'll be 2 episodes on an epilogue. I totally forgot about Tsuchimikado as well, like the animators did
tongue.gif
but you're right, they never went back to that. Hyouka an even bigger mystery, who seems to be the ace up Aleisters sleeve. I also really want to know what was going on there, but I think we might have to wait for a 3rd season for an explanation. Going by what destroyah said earlier, there seems to be more than enough material for a 3rd season, so here's hoping...
I'm sure there will be a third season as the light novels are still going and considering how closely they've been following it and that it's J.C. Staff, the unlikelihood of a 3rd season is unlikely. The series itself is also popular, but I don't see it happening until Fall 2012 at the earliest. Shana 3 may come this fall along with the long confirmed Bakuman 2nd season, and then either Railgun 2 or Index 3 next fall.

QUOTE @Kit

Wow, didn't know you were a fan of Accelerator. I really like his V.A. right now, and those high pitched evil squeals he makes.

yeah I didn't like him very much in the first season, but given his greater screen time this season he really made a bigger impact. A very interesting character and not to mention that he's probably the most complex esper in Academy City

QUOTE yeah I didn't like him very much in the first season, but given his greater screen time this season he really made a bigger impact. A very interesting character and not to mention that he's probably the most complex esper in Academy City

Well in his first appearance, he was somewhat presented as your generic, run-of-the-mill psychopathic villain, so I can see why he won't rub so well with viewers. The expansion on his background and the portrayal of his "humanity" is what made him more interesting right now IMO and as you've pointed out, it can only be possible by giving him more screen time.

Also those shrieks. Those damn shrieks. His V.A. is awesome.

QUOTE (khael @ Mar 15 2011, 07:46 PM) Also those shrieks. Those damn shrieks. His V.A. is awesome.
The seiyuu for Accelerator actually won the award for best supporting actor this year if that makes you any happier.

The seiyuu for Accelerator actually won the award for best supporting actor this year if that makes you any happier.

THIS PLEASES ME.

Well the one problem is touma isn't all bandaged up next episode so I don't think we can write off that we're doing a two episode epilogue here. I think we're going for aftermath/prep work for 23 and 24 will be the clifhangar episode.

In any case since this is J.C. Staff and all and we all know that Shana 3 takes presidence over anything else, since the fans have been waiting rather patiently. Also, I think the second season of Railgun would be worth it due to Saten-san fans.
tongue.gif
Ok this one is one off the top of my head, but when the heck are they ever going to pick back up with doing Louise's 4th season? I feel like we'll never get one at all.

Anyways in this season it seems that Touma is learning to relly on how to fight with more than just going for the heimaker with his right fist. Not only that but seeing that Accelorator go from Level 5 to Level 3 Zomie, to full on demon was well worth it. Although it could be more along the line of a fallen angel since how he was ever since the Level 6 exparament.

Im a bit disappointed to since it seemed like "we have a few characters here so just make let them make a battle royle and everything is good". Ventos reason to hate science was more than just stupid, the fight Accelerator vs. Kihara had so many failure scenes (like Kihara not caring about Index even though Index couldve run of with Last Order) and Alleisters decision to activate that girl and destryong a lot of Academy City just because one magician is invading was completely not understandable.

Fighting scenes werent that great either since it was mostly bla bla punch bla bla bla punch over.
And I never like Accelerator, dont like him now and probably wont ever. Except maybe for his screams, but everything else from him worthless. Btw, he sounds a lot like Nizuma Eiji from Bakuman with his screams, do they have the same seiyuu?

Judging from the preview we wont even get a few answers the arc rised which isnt really making me look forward. But at least there is a bit Seiri in it ^^

Overall the second season isnt as good as the first and still far inferiour to Railgun in terms of characters and story.

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Mar 20 2011, 05:41 PM)Im a bit disappointed to since it seemed like "we have a few characters here so just make let them make a battle royle and everything is good". Ventos reason to hate science was more than just stupid, the fight Accelerator vs. Kihara had so many failure scenes (like Kihara not caring about Index even though Index couldve run of with Last Order) and Alleisters decision to activate that girl and destryong a lot of Academy City just because one magician is invading was completely not understandable.

I cannot really agree with everything here. Even though I agree that Ventos reason for fighting was a tad bit cliche (but what isn't cliche in this world anymore?) I think her fight with Touma was pretty much okay for a fight in Index where most things are usually more talk than action anyway. Same with Kihara vs. Accelerator : Kihara just had the confidence that even if a little unknown girl that seems to be accelerators acquittance (Index) tried to run away with Last order, he could catch them anytime, and "having some fun" with Accelerator was more important to him than keeping little and insignificant things that he can deal with anytime away from Last Order. And its not like he had the leisure to completely ignore Accelerator, after all he is quite dangerous with his powers and craziness.
dry.gif

As for turning Kazakiri Hyouka into an artificial angel (or whatever perverted thing he's doing to her), Alistar being the one who ordered the activation of the "Angel" virus and by that starting the FUZE=Kazakiri transformation, even though it was partially to counter Ventos and the other guys invasion, there is more to it than just that. But its novel material if you want the explanation and spoilers -> click here

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Mar 20 2011, 05:41 PM)
And I never like Accelerator, dont like him now and probably wont ever. Except maybe for his screams, but everything else from him worthless.

LoL.
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Killer_Ossi @ Mar 20 2011, 05:41 PM)
Overall the second season isnt as good as the first and still far inferiour to Railgun in terms of characters and story.
Well Railgun was basically centered on the girl cast and their past\life\personality with action being on the lower side, as for S1, it was more introductory to explain the current situation and how the world there works after all, so kinda comparing them in that sense is meh. I for example still like S2 of index more, since we still get some character development (ex: Accelerator) and faction introduction + deeper understanding of the ones we already know, but much more things are happening aside from happy school life with the occasional bad guy every 2nd episode like in S1.

Episode 23:
While I like the direction the story is now progressing, there is supposedly one episode left and this sure does not feel like any epilogue to me. In fact, it feels like the start of another arc that won't finish next episode. While this raises the possibility of a 3rd season, it also puts the possibility of a solid conclusion to the 2nd season at risk. The chances seem slim for a non-cliffhanger conclusion at this point. Even if it somehow concludes, it probably won't feel very satisfactory.

Probably the biggest shocker this episode was the fact that the doctor knows Aleister and quite well in fact. I'm also more curious about Accelerator's new powers that was revealed in episode 22 but completely skipped over in this episode. Accelerator does mention that he has regained some of his brain waves when he could communicate telepathically with another esper, but it didn't give much insight on just how much Accelerator can really do again.

Overall, I'm currently very wary about the next episode and bracing myself for a possible cliffhanger, and a relatively large one in fact.

Aleister doesn't seem like somebody anyone can trust, because his motives seem unclear. Even Tsuchimikado tells Accelerator not to trust GROUP. Aleister was the one who ordered Kihara to abduct Last Order, right? Isn't it weird for Accelerator to join up with him now?
I'm curious about what that "something" Tsuchimikado wants to protect is, and like Kit mentioned what Accelerators new powers are. I agree that it looks like we won't get a very satisfying conclusion. They are definitely setting things up for a 3rd season, the problem is how long will we have to wait until its in production
tongue.gif

It was very random of Touma to suddenly say he wants to learn English so he doesn't have to depend on others in the future. That came out of nowhere?! I was totally expecting a long winded and serious Touma speech.
laugh.gif

QUOTE (julezia @ Mar 27 2011, 03:59 PM) Aleister doesn't seem like somebody anyone can trust, because his motives seem unclear. Even Tsuchimikado tells Accelerator not to trust GROUP. Aleister was the one who ordered Kihara to abduct Last Order, right? Isn't it weird for Accelerator to join up with him now?

I got the impression that maybe they have kidnapped mini Misaka again and have him in a bind. Tsuchimikado says that the board built the system so they can't win...maybe that's what he meant? Also, maybe Tsuchimikado is in a similar bind.

I personally like where the ending is headed...yeah, we might not get a good conclusion this season, but it seems to be building up for an epic win of a 3rd season. I really dislike how it took so long for this season to get rolling, and would definitely appreciate a 3rd season that's basically a 13-26 ep long climax to everything thats been hinted at or built up in the previous two seasons. Most s2's in any sort of trilogy function this way, so it wouldn't surprise me either.

QUOTE (wedora @ Mar 27 2011, 11:27 PM) I got the impression that maybe they have kidnapped mini Misaka again and have him in a bind. Tsuchimikado says that the board built the system so they can't win...maybe that's what he meant? Also, maybe Tsuchimikado is in a similar bind.

Hmm, that might be the case, after all we never see what happened to Last Order afterwards. I was confused when Aleister said he would just be a scapegoat? I had to re-watch that scene a few times
tongue.gif

But you're right that they are building up to what could be a very epic 3rd season. Well, good things come to those who wait, right?
smile.gif

Ok so we see that not only is Accelorator is now staring to be a wild card out of all of this now, and even noticing that Touma is sticking his neck out for Biribiri's mother like that kind of makes it were he might want to settle to score with him now.

In any case with the way this episode played out seemed more along the line of how Accelorator is probably either Lawful Evil, or just Chaotic Insane at points here, but tends to do a very good job about what he does though.

In any case I'm sure that the third season Touma and Accelorator will actually team up... eventually. Although I'm sure we won't be able to see that season until after Shanna season 3 and Railgun season 2 I'll bet.

In any case this season had a good pacing to it and I have to get this season an 8.1/10 here. Only because Index wasn't useless in a fight at all, and it started to show more characters invovled out of all of this.

Index II has ended and as expected, the final episode is a huge setup for the "finale" that is to come, i.e. the great war of Academy City. Index II really flipped the original Index series around and made it into a much more action filled and plot drive show. The original series from 2008-2009 literally went in circles with a bunch of character introductions and finally in season 2 we finally begin to see a clearer picture. While it still remains a mystery as to who/what is the real antagonist behind all this I really have enjoyed the buildup thus far.

Animation wise, the budget seemed rather low for this season compared to the original series. While the characters were drawn with much higher quality, the imagery and background settings felt rather cheap with all the dark scenes. The censoring of bloody moments, particularly in the latter half of the show were also annoying.

Music wise was very solid this time around. I enjoyed both openings and both ending themes and the voice cast not changing was also a plus. The background music, particularly in the last episode was fantastic. Really loved the piano piece at the beginning of the episode, and probably my most favorite piece in the entire series.

Enjoyment? Index was very fast paced this time around. The first episode was mainly a reintroduction of who Touma was and then the show immediately jumped into events with the Roman Catholic Church after that. The one thing that annoyed me though was how long the Daihaseisai arc was. Too much time was spent on that arc and really felt unnecessary to the extent that they could have expanded the Accelerator/Last Order arc a bit more or leave an even bigger cliffhanger. Nonetheless, the enjoyment factor has certainly improved from the original series.

Overall, Index 2, in my opinion was an overall improvement from season 1. While the action did seem to die down a bit as the series progressed, it was nowhere near the low levels of season 1. There was some poor plot holes like Kyouka suddenly appearing in the last arc and the whole deal with Accelerator regaining some of his powers, but hopefully that will all be revealed in season 3. Speaking of which, the final episode pretty much gives that away. There is almost no chance that there won't be one but of course, reserving judgment until official confirmation. Nevertheless, I'm betting Fall 2012 at the earliest if we're lucky. The show certainly exceeded my expectation, especially after coming off a low note 2 years ago, so I'm certainly more impressed than probably the average person watching this show.

No Saten made me sad throughout the show though. Uiharu got screen time instead
dry.gif

Preliminary Score: 7/10
Final Score: 8/10

Well Kit-san you'll feel better to know you'll get Saten-san in Railgun season 2 of course. In any case it was stated a while back that she wasn't in the orignal works at all, but was added in the side story. So unless the later light novels decide to add her into the main storyline there will be no Saten-san at all in the main Index story.

As for Uiharu, well at least she now had a active role aside from just being one of the girls in the OP for the season.
rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Kid-Wolf @ Apr 01 2011, 09:59 PM) Well Kit-san you'll feel better to know you'll get Saten-san in Railgun season 2 of course. In any case it was stated a while back that she wasn't in the orignal works at all, but was added in the side story. So unless the later light novels decide to add her into the main storyline there will be no Saten-san at all in the main Index story.

As for Uiharu, well at least she now had a active role aside from just being one of the girls in the OP for the season.
rolleyes.gif

yeah I'm aware that she didn't "exist" until Railgun, but I was kinda hoping that Saten would at least make a cameo appearance because you can actually do that in an anime. Unfortunately that never happened
dry.gif

Playasia - Play-Asia.com: Online Shopping for Digital Codes, Video Games, Toys, Music, Electronics & more
Back